Advice wanted re: New Henry vacuum

Hi all

Just bought a Numatic Henry vacuum cleaner model HVR200-22. The problem is that, intermittently and often, it is making a really loud whistling noise which seems to be coming from the plastic attachment at the end of the flexible hose (the end furthest from the vacuum).

If I move the flexible hose around, near the plastic housing that attaches to the metal poles, it stops / starts whistling. I took the vacuum back and got a replacement and the replacement does the same. Is this normal or should I take it back again? The whistling is uncomfortably loud.

I find it hard to believe that a product that is so highly regarded would have a design fault like this. Forgot to state; the whistling only happens when the vacuum is switched to high power mode.

Numatic customer service is closed till Monday so any advise appreciated.

Many thanks.

Haymish.

Reply to
Haymish

is it the little black ring that you can turn to open a little hole in the handle that decreases the suction. If that is open a tiny ammount then that could act as a whistle

Paul

Reply to
Paul ( Skiing8 )

So far I've always found that the whistling is caused by the opening into the disposable bag, or something lodged near it. Yours could be whistling a different tune,

-- Regards, Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Nope, not that, tried it in all sorts of positions

Reply to
Haymish

The sound seems to be coming from the point where the hose meets the plastic housing that connects to the metal rods, if I push the flexible hose into that plastic housing, the noise stops. I suppose what I want to know is, is this typical of Henries or do I own a special one / should I get it replaced?

Reply to
Haymish

Mine whistles when full and needs emptying

Reply to
Buzby

Sounds like an odd one, I've never heard a very noisy Henry! I should hang on 'till you can talk to their (very helpful) Customer Care helpline on 01460 68480.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Hi Haymish

First of all, it's whistling because it can't remember the words :-)

It's caused by air moving very fast through a small gap. Try lightning the hose (left hand thread) into the cuff. Make sure the cuff is fully on/in the metal tubes and that they are firmly pushed together.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

replying to Haymish, Anonymous wrote: I know exactly what you're talking about! Believe me, I tried duct take, trimming plastic parts, and i even contemplated glue, it all failed. The reason it stops intermittently when you move the hose around is because it's caused by the slight gap between the hose "end cap" seated inside the nose adaptor. To release this, you'll have to push a pen or something thin and stable, into the two tiny clips around the nose adaptor, they're about 5mm in length and tablet shaped, to release the hose from the housing. Do the same on the handle/pipe end, and simply swap them around. I fixed mine like this. With any luck the other end won't play up the same way. What you want to achieve is to have the Vacuum end of the hose, on the pipe end, and visa versa. Both end release out of their adaptor housings. Look for those tiny release clips i described above. Just push them in, and the hose end will come out.

Reply to
Anonymous