drilling advice

Hi group the garden rebuild project is going very well, but hit a problem.

I need to drill 12mm holes, into new common brick, to a depth of 50mm. Logicaly, I thought, start with pilot hole, then 6/7mm, then finally 12mm drill bits. I have an 'ordinary' domestic electric drill, with hammer action, but have bought the best drill bits in the DIY store (Rawlplug, Bullet, Tungsten etc, all for brick, concrete,). I have now spent an hour and not yet completed one hole! I have blunted all my drill bits - all turned blue, with mishapen points. The drill is overheating. Not had this problem before with picture hooks, bookshelves etc.

where am I going wrong? Is the drill not up to it - if so I will buy, or hire, a better one. Is it the drill bits - if so, what should I be using? Or is it my technique? Advice needed please.

I have 10 holes to make so I have packed up in disgust - and going for a pub lunch - and will continue tomorrow. Meanwhile any advice most welcome.

thanks, Ian

Reply to
Ian Hooksem

I have no idea what you're doing wrong - an "ordinary" hammer drill should be quite capable. What sort is it? Is hammer action actually switched on? Sounds as if it isn't!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The "turned blue" is a good indication that the drill bit has got too hot. You may have just discovered the joys of drilling really hard stuff like engineering bricks.

You might be able to get a hole with your current drill and a water spray directed into the hole to keep the drill bit cool enough - but it will still take ages per hole.

In this day and age the simple answer would be not using a SDS drill.

Have a read of:-

Is the drill not up to it - if so I will buy, or hire, a better one. The simplest solution will be to buy a SDS drill and suitable 12mm bit. It will drill all your holes in under ten mins for the lot.

Most of the ususal DIY shops will sell you something heavey and crude for 30 to 40 quid that will get the job done. However I would normally recommend a product with a little more finesse if you are planning on using the tool more than the once.

If you want something really good then try:-

(quite a number in this group have one of these (myself included) and will testify to its being the dogs dangly bits!)

Failing that decide how much you want to spend and have look at:

I have 10 holes to make so I have packed up in disgust - and going for a pub

Good plan... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Drilling a single hole is maybe a 2 minute job with a hammer drill, or a

20 second job with an sds. You're doing something very wrong. Are you using a hammer drill? Are you using masonry drill bits? Is the power switched on?
Reply to
Grunff

Hi Ian

Had the same problem a couple of months back. I was only putting up a curtain pelmet but couldn't get through the brick. I thought I was hitting a steel lintel. Ruined the drill bit and spent ages cursing and swearing at the over-engineering of the old house. Found out that I had the drill in reverse! Worth checking if it's a reversible. And yes, I did feel a right idiot! :-)

Regards

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Check the drill is not in reverse..... mate of mine tried to drill steel in reverse.... doesnt work too well, melted a hole more than drilling it

Paul

Reply to
Paul ( Skiing8 )

Just replied before your post showed up saying the same thing

Reply to
Paul ( Skiing8 )

You need an SDS drill, It's probably as cheap to buy a B&Q one as it is to hire one. You can still go up in two increments at most but it will probably do the 12mm at one go quite happily.

Reply to
Peter Parry

In common brick?

Either you have the drill in reverse, the hammer action is not working or it ain't a common brick. Even a 30 year old B&D with knackered bearings, noisy gearbox and a sparking commutator would piss a job like this.

Reply to
Martin Evans

Yup, have drilled concrete walls without hammer action. The 'masonry' bit got thinner with each hole, after 30 or so holse there was nothing left, but it worked.

Get sds, no more probs, simple as that. Do pick one that does all 3 sds functions, many only do 2. And get a 2.2kg not a 5kg.

If you even cant afford 25 for a basic sds, just get a new masonry bit, a sensible one, check the drills going in the right direction and set it to much much lower speed. Melting the bit means its running far too fast.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Yup, your drill is probably in reverse, as suggested. We've all done it!

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Is it perhaps reversible & you're drilling in the wrong direction? Been there, done that before...

Reply to
Hamie

You haven't got the drill in reverse have you?

Niormally, even in concrete, a touch good quality masonry bit will make short work on a 2" hole.

Stop occasionally and blow any loose dust out of it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My reaction exactly

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If they are Staffordshire bricks, as mine are, you may as well try to pick a lock with a piece of wet string as drill with a hammer drill. I spent hours and many drills on my property, then discovered SDS drills. Hot knife and butter comes to mind.

Reply to
Broadback