Advice on new table saw

I am looking for a new table saw (to replace an Aldi el-cheapo). Can anyone tell me if the Charnwood W614 really is a notch above the Ferm/etc range? I am attracted by

- the relatively large table with folding extensions,

- the stand,

- but especially the belt drive. That gives me the idea that it can be tuned - and with a high-quality blade it could become a good amateur system.

I am not a busy pro so I can spend time setting up if that leads to good results.

PS I have also posted this to ukwoodworkshop.co.uk Forum.

Reply to
Rob

I have a Charnwood, not that model though, It's much better built than the Ferm/Machine Mart/B&Q/Aldi saws.

One thing I can say is that their after sales service is absolutely first class. You speak to real people who know the machines on a practical level and are very helpful. I had a minor problem which they sorted very quickly even sending the small part FOC.

The problem with all lower end table saws is the rip fence. The one on the Charnwood looks OK, but if not try adding one of these

good value at that price. I got mine from a local dealer and got a better price from him than on the Charnwood site.

HTH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Even that isn't a problem if the back of the fence is flat/square so that you can attach a clamp. Some of them are rounded at the top, or too thin

The one on the

Stuart Noble

these

> Looks good value at that price. I got mine from a local dealer and got a

Yes go for the Axminster fence - strong recommendation. You may have to shorten it and the one problem you might face is fitting it in that drilling holes for it in the body of the bench saw could negate your warranty.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

these

> > Looks good value at that price. I got mine from a local dealer and got a

Many thanks for your comments and advice. This sounds like the way to go. Rob

Reply to
Rob