Adjustable Feet

I am building a model railway layout in the loft and need some adjustable feet to go on the supporting legs.I have seen round rubber feet, about 1.5 in dia on a threaded leg that screw into a steel threaded insert fitted into the supporting leg. I was told B&Q sell them but when I enquired they looked at me as though I was an idiot. A tool shop I use had the feet but no inserts to match the thread. I couldn't find anything in screwfix. Does anybody have any ideas for a supplier, a national chain or in SW Herts?
Thanks
Kevin
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:17:31 -0000, "Kevin Rayner"

Would kitchen unit legs be too long ?? Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "

1.5
into
looked
They would do the job but would not be the best solution. I have actually seen the things I need on an exhibition layout but the operators couldn't remember where they bought them but thought it was B&Q. Kevin
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:34:17 -0000, "Kevin Rayner"

Sound s abit like the things I recovered when I broke up an old suite -They wre pronged inserts that were hammered in to the frame and had a threaded centre and a bolt was crewed in to it to join the other part of the suite -Only difference was they didnt have the rubber feet.How many would you need in case I have them still ? Stuart

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "

B&Q sell captive nuts in most of the common metric sizes - they have prongs to retain them in wood. So if you can get the adjustable feet, and the thread is correct, you simply drill a clearance hole for the thread up the middle of the leg and hammer them in place. You might have to use some form of clamp round the leg to stop splitting, though, given you're going in the end grain.
--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:17:31 -0000, "Kevin Rayner"

Would something like this be what you want? Look down to product numbers 12749 and 1422. http://tinyurl.com/32olz Then you just want some feet with a 6mm or 8mm stud. These should be available at most diy stores, most probably a little hardware store will be more likely.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:17:31 -0000, "Kevin Rayner"

You might like to check Maplins:
http://www.maplin.co.uk
Item codes JU48C and YL23A are handwheels which might do the trick.
PoP
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:17:31 -0000, "Kevin Rayner"

I think you'll find what you want at www.isaaclord.co.uk
Look under Glides......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:17:31 -0000, "Kevin Rayner"

Hafele sell feet that are adjustable from inside the carcase. Basically a threaded rod with one end slotted for a screwdriver and the other with a foot on it. They are fed through a 'T' nut and accessed via a hole in the unit. Plastic caps are available to cover this acess hole.
They are most useful when the plinth can not be removed.
Paul Mc Cann