Access to CH drain under hall carpet

HID has decided that the rear corridor (6m x 0.7m) should have a fitted carpet. Trouble is that the CH drain point and shut off valves for the bedrooms (single storey cottage) are under a couple of lifting boards about 2m from one end.

What's the best options please ?

Rob

Reply to
robkgraham

Work on the idea of a nice rug...

Reply to
Vera

Rob wrote | HID has decided that the rear corridor (6m x 0.7m) should | have a fitted carpet. Trouble is that the CH drain point | and shut off valves for the bedrooms (single storey | cottage) are under a couple of lifting boards about 2m | from one end. | What's the best options please ?

You can get double-sealed manhole covers which give a flush finish and accept a panel of eg laminate, for when sewers have to run under interior floors. I don't know how well carpet would fit into the cover panel. Another option would be the floorboxes used for concealed power and data points in offices -- they are designed to accept carpet. Neither will be invisible.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Carpet tiles?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I come across "a lot" of such installations where lifting one end and rolling back of the fitted carpet is required. Considering the frequency of access required its no big thing to simply do the same. Just don't glue the carpet down. The carpet may well be at the renewal stage before you next need to access the valves.

Reply to
John

Huh? People glue carpets down? Fitted carpets?

Odd - I allus nail mine.

Reply to
Vera

If it is just the drain valve you want access to, I extended my pipework in one house to have a hose attachment point outside and a valve located inside under a radiator poking up through the carpet. SWMBO not too happy about valve but eventually forgot. To drain system (close header tank) attach hose pipe outside emptying into suitable foul water drain and open valve, worked a charm. Used an electric drill pump to get the last water out the bits under the floor.

Reply to
Ian_m