A use for all those beer cans...

YouTube

Although the holes in the wall need to be bigger than those for water pipes, this has to be the simplest way of non-storage heating that I've seen.

My front wall faces SE and often gets sun in the Winter. The solar gain in mid-Nov. - mid-Jan. isn't enough to be worth drawing back the net curtains[1], as there's increased loss, but there is worthwhile energy there and I've been mulling over ways of getting it.

Today, there's been gentle snow, overcast (not too dull, but not bright) and the temperature stayed just about on freezing. The well-ventilated loft went from 2.0 deg. to 4.3 deg. during the day, so the force is out there!

Reply to
PeterC

I bet he could have paid for 20 years of electricity if he hadnt drink the beer

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I spent a while wondering where I might get some thin guage aluminium for a little solar hot water experiment until I realised I chuck loads of it away every fortnight when the recycling gets collected. Given the numbers of cans that seem to have accumulated over the last couple of months, I reckon I could go into competition with the bloke in the video.

Having watched that, I wonder if it's time for a little hot air heating experiment too!

Did he say how he had joined the cans together or is that his USP?

Reply to
GMM

Been like that here too. I don't want to send my 20 degree room air out into a system that has a single layer of plastic insulating it from 4 degree outside air in the hope that overcast sun will be warming it more than it'll lose to the outside - at least, not without proof.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

No, but it seemed that they sort of wedged together - OK for air but a bit fraught for water.

Reply to
PeterC

It'd be fairly easy to try it without having holes in the wall. Just make a crude mock-up and blow some air through it - the proof of the pudding is in the pulling.

Reply to
PeterC

Double glazing makes more sense, maybe triple. Only running air through it when its warm does too.

Reply to
meow2222

Yes, especially for weak sun with low temperatures. At least it can't freeze or boil (it's already done the latter).

That's v. simple - just need 2 'stats, one for room and one for incoming air.

Reply to
PeterC

Why does he need the cans at all? He could just let air circulate through his green house thingy. Paint the back of it black.

The main problem with this sort of thing is the glazing .

Complete waste of time anyway. All he needs is a window. It is instead of a window but more expensive and inefficient.

The thing is too small to make a significant difference.

Reply to
harryagain

OMG! You mean, in order to save the planet - we have to drink more beer?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm ready to do my bit.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

On the subject of beer cans....

Why 440ml?

500ml can/bottle - half a litre. 568ml can - a pint. 330ml bottle - third of a litre. 285ml bottle - half a pint.

But why 440ml cans?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Looks like we will have to man up & get on with it. Planet won't save itself will it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, it's up to people like us.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

No stats required, just plastic film flaps. They open when convection force occurs.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'd assumed an American pint, but no...

Reply to
John Williamson

Many cans have contents a mere fraction of an ounce below the actual volume. There is a bit of space and they obviously want to keep the right side of weights & measures. So 440 is only a tiny bit below the

454.61 ml exact conversion - which is a similar margin.
Reply to
polygonum

Hmmmm! Not convinced :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Tons of videos

Reply to
mogga

I'll have to - up 'til now I've crushed the cans by hand, as I need the exercise.

Reply to
PeterC