a shed for the washing machine?

I want to make a bit more space in my kitchen. Theres a bit of dead space up the side of the house and I was thinking about building something to put the washing machine in and maybe a little chest freezer. What kind of structure would I need? Would a little wooden shed be up to the job, or would it get too cold in winter. Also, what are the practical challenges of getting power and water to it? ie how can I protect the water pipes from getting frozen up, what rules govern how the wiring is delivered?

Thanks

John

Reply to
JK

Rather than build a totally separate shed or hut, why not build a lean-to at the side of the house. A lean-to is only three walls and a roof, with the fourth wall being the side of your house. If it's well insulated with fibre-glass in the walls and roof space, then it should withstand the rigors of a mild winter. The power and water is then just drilled through the wall from the inside, and everything could be fixed to the solid wall without any problems.

Reply to
BigWallop

I had thought of that. But several concerns put me off:

- my competence & what to make it of

- windows would then look out into the lean-to

- neighbours; our side yard is next to his side yard, with a 5ft wall between

- planning; surely if it's to be any good it has to be pretty much permanent, so what about permissions?

Reply to
JK

Permission on a lean-to is not required as it is not classed as an extension with permanent access from the house. It's when you knock a door through it becomes an extension.

The whole thing can be made from 4'' X 2'' timber framing. Treated timber is best, but normal stuff does if you apply good weather-proof coating to it.

Start with a floor that is slightly lifted off the ground on top of a few paving slabs. Like this sort of thing:

you can fix a couple of upright timber studs against you house to start the wall construction off and hold the whole in place. Like this sort of idea:

bottom of the walls can be made solid with glass or clear-sheet Perspex so you don't block any views from the house.

Reply to
BigWallop

Youll be at risk of pipes freezing. Pipes will need to be thoroughly lagged, or you can use a frost protection heater in there, or pipe heating tape.

Of course any unheated structure will go down to freezing in winter.

Getting water in is easy with those self-vampiring taps, plus flexible washing mc hoses.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton