A Non-friction bicycle lights generator (dynamo)

Sounds like a sensible change to me. Flashing lights are far more "noticable".

Reply to
John Rumm

Hear, hear.

Reply to
Huge

So he knew the law and you didn't, and yet you call him ignorant?

Oh the irony!

Reply to
John Rumm

So ask yourself why have they never been specified for motor vehicle tail lights?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I was commenting on the fact that he (seems to) supports a lethal light.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , ":::Jerry::::" wrote

and ask yourself why 10/20W lights haven't been specified for a bicycle.

Reply to
Alan

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

  1. I didn't express any opinion in my post as to whether or not I thought this is a good thing or not.
Reply to
chris French

0.5km close enough?
Reply to
DJC

,

vehicle

bicycle.

Intermittent vs. constant, look them up in your dictionary...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Nothing left to reply to...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

,

ignorant?

Yes you did.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Easy, they compensate with lots of power, bikes don't have that option. Cars are also large visible things.

Ask yourself why do turn signals and hazard warning lights flash on a car.

Reply to
John Rumm

How is a light that gets a cyclist noticed better "lethal"?

Reply to
John Rumm

vehicle

option.

Not at night they don't, if they were that visible they wouldn't need (marker) lights!

As for highly visible light sources, I have no problem, it's the flashing of the light source that is what I object too, why can't LED's be used without the need to flash - never mind the non standard colours that seem to get used?

Exactly, now ask yourself why head and tail lights don't...!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

Where is Widow Twanky when you need her?

Reply to
chris French

Do they, best we fit them to motor vehicles then....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , ":::Jerry::::" wrote

My point is that if it is deemed unsafe to have a rear light below a certain wattage on a car why wasn't the _same_ legislation applied to bicycle lights?

The legislation with regards bicycle lighting was probably written around what was practical at the time. Technology has since improved and the better quality flashing lights allows the bicycle rider to be more noticeable to other road users.

The biggest problem is that the majority of bicycle riders don't fit any form of lighting when riding at night. Road safety is probably not compromised at all by fitting flashing lights rather than constant lighting, but it is by not fitting any lights at all.

Reply to
Alan

_Motor_ vehicles have alternators and can afford the sheer brute force solution of high light outputs. Cyclists (and horses) don't have this as an option.

You'll also notice that the "exceptional" vehicles that may cause an additional hazard (stopping in odd places, not following normal rules of the road) are fitted with flashing orange or blue lights.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Dunno, what's that in real money?

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

,

How many cycles do you know (outside of road racing) that can do

50mph, let alone 70 (or more) mph?

improved

You can have a 'bright' light, it doesn't have to flash.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::