2gang socket with USB?

I'm considering replacing the bedside sockets with something like this-

Any opinions on this one? Or suggestions for something better? We have tablets and smartphones, so need something with decent output.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I've seen USB chargers (for cars, cigarette socket) going up to 3A - and every 2 years the adapter I last had is no longer capable of charging my new phone at full speed.

Also, I'm not keen on having a charger circuit permanently powered as it would be in these sockets.

A 13A socket has been standard since 1947. USB charging is a constantly moving goalpost.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The blurb says it 'trips off' if the current exceeds 2 amps - but how is it reset? Does the ring main need powering down?

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Expensive gimmick. One of these solutions-looking-for-a-problem.

Can't be moved about. Permanently on. Can't be repaired when it fails (which it will, see point 2.)

Reply to
Scott M

It would make more sense for the IET plus the BS plus EU to come up with a dual standard 3 pin DC socket - 5-0-??

Where the ?? is a voltage that's high enough for laptops and close enough to the typical that an inline cable DC-DC converter could tweak the voltage without much fuss.

Then wire a set of these around the house with a decent and efficient PSU mounted nicely on a wall somewhere.

Fuses in the socket for both rails.

Then we'd have a clean long lived analogue solution to doing away with wall warts.

USB stuff would just have a lead - or a small plugtop adapter like now, but with no active components.

Everything else would have a source of power that needed minimal conversion.

Reply to
Tim Watts

While I'd agree it's overpriced, it'd be the sort of thing I'd use a fair bit, as I tend to charge USB-thingies from the same socket in the kitchen. Admittedly it'd only serve to tidy things up and liberate a socket, but hey.

Everything fails, more or less. What makes you think these will fail especially quickly?

Reply to
RJH

They're enclosed on 5 sides, so will tend to run hotter, they might have chosen smaller components to allow them to fit into the faceplate.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd say that some USB transformers are pretty compact - mine's the size and shape of a slim 13A plug and left plugged in all the time. Doesn't get noticeably warm when not in use, but does when charging - especially something quite hungry like an ipad. Think it's about 4 years old now.

Reply to
RJH

"Will" for sure.

There's not much room left in a 13A socket assembly and you cannot do the decent thing and require a 47mm (thanks Adam, not 45mm) backbox like you would for a shaver socket.

And in 5 years it probably won't charge your new pphone.

In 10 year it will probably be totally obsolete.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You can now get plug-through 2-socket USB chargers (I bought one off Amazon last week). Keeps a socket free, and can be moved if necessary.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I agree. I've got a 4-way USB charger --- you provide your own USB cables so you can mix & match the various things (the great thing about standards...).

The only problem with it is that the USB cables come down from it, so it can be very hard to use in hotel rooms where the sockets are too close to the tabletops. It would be better if the USB ports were opposite the mains prongs.

Oh, I see they *now* make a version with a 1.5 m extension lead. Nuts.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I installed one (same make) a couple of weeks ago. Very satisfactory so far, and much tidier.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I have one (not this model) by the bed and another to go in the kitchen when I get round to it. I find it very convenient.

Reply to
newshound

They make a version with 4.2A instead of 2.5A and it's cheaper.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes - I have a similar product for use at my desk. It works well in both the UK and US. I just wanted a tidier alternative for the bedrooms.

Reply to
S Viemeister

This subject has already been 'done to death' a several months ago.

You'll see plenty of replies suggesting why it's not a particularly clever idea for a whole host of perfectly valid reasons (along with a smattering of pro postings with equally valid reasons :-).

By all means take note of the 'advice' but, in the end, it's entirely down to your conscience as to whether 'convenience' outweighs both the slightly elevated fire risk and annual electricity bill (and 'fashion sense' - though not a problem if it's going to be restricted to bedroom sockets only :-).

Reply to
Johny B Good

Yes, it's been added since I bought the 2.5 A one. :-(

Reply to
Adam Funk

If you are thinking of getting a mains socket with builtin charger worth looking at

a lot of them leave a lot to be desired safety wise

Martin

Reply to
Martin Warby

The spec is rubbish. Look at the Crabtree alternatives

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Thanks, I'll read through that.

Reply to