2 of the 5 lights in my chandelier have stopped working?

Any idea why this might happen?

yes, I have tried changing the bulbs!

All 5 did work, then one gave up now a second one has given up the ghost!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
johnboy

Well, there will be one pair of wires supplying power to the hanging point. From there, they split to supply each bulb. So you have some failing connections. The routing, connections, etc. rather depend on the design of chandelier. Can't you figure how it comes apart? Some more information might help...

Reply to
newshound

I had a "cheap" chandelier in a rental house where only some of the bulbs worked.

It was because the contact in the bulb holder had moved and didn't make contact properly.

tim

Reply to
tim....

Get yourself a multimeter, then you'll quickly know.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Hi As already posted really need more info but you can check the following. If "BC" type lamps check 2 pins in lampholder are free and sprung out (sometimes 1 sticks in). If "ES" type lamps check centre connection (as listed can move). If lamps hang down and holders are brass wiring can overheat and burn out where terminated in lamp holder. (also happens in uplighted units) IGWS don't go poking about with the power on isolate at the mains don't rely on the lightswitch. HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

+1

It's usually the cheap plastic moulding that holds the contacts which has either gone cheesey or melted or cracked.

Reply to
Skipweasel

In an attempt to answer your questions I had a poke around (with the power off). There's a decorative loose metal cylinder which sits around the base of each bulb (and the fitting the bulb screws into). I swapped some of those around and when I switched the power on again one of the problematic ones was now working and one of the good ones had stopped working! I eventually discovered that by not screwing the bulbs in the problematic ones all the way all 5 worked.

Fell slightly embarrassed but it's obviously difficult to spot as the light is off when I change the bulbs. Anyway many thanks for your suggestions.

Reply to
johnboy