Hot water cylinder position

Hi I'm plumbing in a rayburn solid fuel range in our renovated farmhouse which is "1.5 story" high. Instead of having the cylinder directly underneath the exp and feed tanks, in the centre of the upstairs room above the range, would there be any reason not to place it towards the eves, ie off centre and have the exp pipe running at an angle approx 40deg about 2mtrs to the exp tank in the apex of the ceiling.

Reply to
rog

Hi I'm plumbing in a rayburn solid fuel range in our renovated farmhouse which is "1.5 story" high. Instead of having the cylinder directly underneath the exp and feed tanks, in the centre of the upstairs room above the range, would there be any reason not to place it towards the eves, ie off centre and have the exp pipe running at an angle approx 40deg about 2mtrs to the exp tank in the apex of the ceiling.

Reply to
rog

Not with a solid fuel appliance - these must have an unpressurised circuit, as there's no way to shut them down once fired up. They must also rely on gravity circulation (in case of a power cut).

Caveat - I've never fitted a solid fuel rayburn - only a modern pressure-jet oil burner. However solid fuel was one of the options I considered and I had a good think abut how I'd route it in my own place, and nosed about at other installations.

For your f&e, your routing sounds ok to me. But the main boiler to hw tank in 28mm - I'd take great care to ensure you follow the Rayburn installation instructions exactly, to ensure that you have excellent gravity circulation. Both pipes slope upwards all the way, minimum number of bends, heat-leak radiator etc. Otherwise you may for evermore be plagued by kettling/knocking in your boiler.

Reply to
dom

Thanks for your reply, another query is as the rads ( fitted with thermostatic valves ) and heat sink rad are all in the upper storey, do I need a circulation pump at all; in a previous house with s/f rayburn the u/s rads were operating ok when pump off, obviously d/s rads not.

Reply to
rog