12V car cig lighter adapters - safe?

At bloody last. Now what trick can you do to reduce the size of the PCB?

Reply to
Conor

That wasn't the question that you asked.

You need to learn how to be more accurate in your specifications, be they for junior electronics or the selection of Yorkie bars.

Reply to
Andy Hall

... not install two PCI cards so close that they were touching.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Does it _have_ to be on a PCB? It's quite possible to wire that up almost 'rats-nest' construction, then perhaps pot it in resin.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yep.

Reply to
Conor

What PCB? No PCB necessary.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I actually did that many years ago.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because that was the rules of the challenge. As I said, it was an exercise in design.

Reply to
Conor

FFS...

Reply to
Conor

I used to work on them many years ago. They were widely used on videogame boards to prevent piracy along with scrubbing IC numbers off. Made faultfinding a real bitch.

Reply to
Conor

Lobster used his keyboard to write :

I use several of them and the only protection I have seen has been a fuse in the plug to limit the current.

The gadget should be built such that it has all the protection from surges built in to it.

Only if the cheapo item is very badly built. I have paid £1 each for them and they have proven to be well built. I have paid £5 each and they have been rubbish.

Tested, not really. Inspected, probably. Does it look solidly built, does the plugs make good contact and say in?

A shame they standardised on the reuse of a socket intended for light a ciggy, instead of something more appropriate.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Plenty have a power supply built into the plug. Things like Tom Toms for example.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How about describing, in order of effectiveness, the steps you would take to mitigate simultaneous switching noise.

Or how about describing metastability in a flip flop what you would do about it, and why.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I once used a 10pF disc to ground, why? Although TBH that was more of an edge overlap instability and the cap slowed the signal rise times enough to not cause the problem.

Duh. I'd wear sandals instead.

Reply to
PCPaul