100mm extractor hood ducting problem

What I'm after is a piece of plastic pipe which will slide within

100mm extractor hood ducting.

Reason being that I've drilled a 117mm hole in a wall to vent a tumble dryer. And the tumble dryer has (literally) about 15mm of gap between it and the external house wall - nowhere near enough room to mount a flexible tumbler dryer hose outlet.

What I can do is push the 100mm pipe directly onto the tumble dryer outlet (which is on the side of the tumble dryer) - and that works perfectly well. Only problem is that the tumble dryer is then "fixed" to the outside wall of the house and can't be moved without first pulling the 100mm tube away - breaking all seals between the 100mm duct and the cavity wall in the process.

This problem would be solved if I can get hold of a piece of (e.g.)

95mm tube which can gracefully slide within the 100mm ducting, and thus mate up with the tumble dryer outlet. But does anyone manufacture ducting of a suitable size?

I know this is a pain in the arse arrangement, but I'm running on empty with regard to how this problem might be solved. I've got no options with regard to creating a bigger gap between the tumble dryer and the outside wall because of the furniture arrangements in the utility room - so somehow I've got to bridge the small gap between the tumble dryer and the wall.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

You could make yourself a length by folding say a piece of sheet aluminium into a tube and pop riveting the seam ? Or how about taking a length of

100mm pipe cutting down its length and removing a strip then glue it back it together or just tape it up so making a smaller diameter tube ?

Chris

Reply to
Chris and Patsy

I used a piece of a large orange squash bottle to fill the 3cm gap between the wall mounted pipe and a new extractor fan, it slid inside the 100mm pipe beautifully

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Now that sounds like a great idea! Only possible issue might be the heat coming out the back of the tumble dryer.

The other idea about sawing a strip out of a 100mm pipe sounds good too.

What a wonderful resource this forum is! Went to bed last night with a problem and within hours have too viable solutions.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Just one word of caution here.

This junctions are great fluff catchers so you would want to be able to monitor them.

I once had a fire in such a situation. Luckily the fluff didn't burst into flames but just smouldered.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Can do that from outside by removing the plastic vent housing - it pops off so no big deal there.

The tenant in this case has been using the tumble dryer unvented for quite some time (some years I think). When they pulled it out to have new flooring installed underneath the fluff was seriously built up all around the back of the tumble dryer! This tumble dryer was shoe-horned into the tight gap with hardly any air to breathe around it, hence why I was asked to knock a big hole in the wall to allow the fluff and heat to get outside.

Nasty. I can just imagine it though.

PoP

Reply to
PoP