Refurbishing a sabre-lath

I've been working on improving the condition of my Shopmate Sabre-lathe 2610T0. I finally figured out how to get the case go back together (there's a notch in the bearings on the spindle that must line up) but would like to know more about what I can do.
The lathe body is quite dirty inside, and well broken in. It's also quite noisy, and I'd like to see about reducing some of the running noise if I can. What should I be doing to clean it up and improve on its running condition?
Puckdropper

Assuming all the parts are metal and the unit was originally put together with grease; I would recommend using a good solvent like mineral sprits sold as paint thinner for oil based paints in most places ( there are two variations the smelly original formula and a newer odorless type while the odorless is not completely odorless it is an improvement) if you want to use a soap I would use Castorl Super clean and rinse with hot water in either case clean out as much as you can by wiping first then wash with either solvent or super clean. After the parts dry lubricate everything with non fibrous automotive wheel bearing grade grease be sure to pack the bearings full by pushing the grease completely through the bearing from one side until it comes out the other all the way around. This assumes these are not sealed bearings, if they are sealed and they don't turn smoothly they will have to be replaced. I would check on both a generic commercial bearing and a OE if OE is available many times generic bearing are much cheaper and just as good. Repacking the bearings and re greasing everything should quite things down unless the bearing are bad when you get the bearings thoroughly cleaned hold them in one hand and turn them with the other: they should turn freely and should feel smooth with no rough spots and no clicking sounds
Jay