Water still in H tank?

Forgot to mention; I turned off the stoptap and drained all the water from the hot water system. Then I unscrewed the immersion heater from the tank and water started to flow from the opening. I quickly put the immersion heater back in and checked that both H & C taps were open. Tried again; water still there. Where could this water be coming from please? It's an exchanger-type with a coil inside which is fed by a gas back-boiler.
Des.
you can`t drain the cylinder through the taps. if there is no drain tap fitted to the cold water inlet connection you will have to syphon it down using a hose.
the life span of cylinders can vary a lot (i`ve had to change one after only two years) a lot of variables come into i.e. water quality etc.

Should have read this one first! The water is still in the tank because it is still full!!! You never drained it. You sound like another DIY disaster lol. Definitely get a plumber.