Water softener question

Hello folks. I have a couple questions about a water softener I plan to buy:
I have fairly high water needs at times, but normally there's only two people in my house. Is it possible to buy a water softener that has too much capacity, where I'd have problems and/or damage?
When the water softener regenerates, does it stop all the water flow to my house?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Pagan

You need to speak with someone selling softeners, like me, that will take your analysis data and other information and size the unit for you. If you have your own well, you will have to size the unit for your specific water quality and your plumbing's flow rate too. Which applies to 'city' water too but you don't have the potential water quality issues as you will with your own well. Try this URL as a start for the capacity, although it does not get into the flow rate each size unit can treat: http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/sizzingchart.htm
Gary Quality Water Associates www.qualitywaterassociates.com Gary Slusser's Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2/

It won't stop all water flow. However, the water may go hard, although that depends on the type you buy.
Some (even metered ones) regenerate at night in the hope that you won't be using water at 2am. The best types have two resin chambers. When one is depleted, the valve swaps them over and regenerates the exhausted one, meaning that soft water is available 24 hours a day, even during times of exceptional water use that couldn't have been predicted by a single chamber microprocessor based meter system.
Christian.
replying to Pagan, UVBoy wrote: First of all, when a softener regenerates, it doesn't stop the water flow to your home. You won't get soft water, but it won't stop the flow completely. As for oversizing, whether or not this will be detrimental to the softener long term depends on your iron concentration. If you have iron in the water you'll want to make sure the softener doesn't go more than 7 days. If there is no iron you can go longer - probably out to 10 or even 14 days. Not sure if you've seen this or not but there's a great guide on the internet now that explains this concept and a lot more - you can get it for free here: http://www.aquatell.ca/pages/water-softeners