water heater leaks

Hi, I have a eight year old 50 gal State electric water heater which is leaking around the inlet and outlet pipes. Is this a sign the water heater has failed and needs to be replaced. The heater still give all the hot water we need but the leaking has turned to puddles in the basement. I have shut down the water heater for now. Any help is appreciated. -------------------------------------