Shower Pan LIner Leaking At Flange

A guy put in a Oatey PVC 40 Mil Shower Pan Liner a few months back. I am just about to tile and I notice that it is leaking where the claming flange and the subtrain connect. I pulled the flange off and I think he used Henry's 208 to seal it up. Smells and feels like it! That is a no no I think. Solvent based. Oatey recommends Silicone but not sure how it cures as it has no air where the joint meets?? Anyway. Now I have Henry's I think on the top of the bottom flange and on the top flange. Got most of it off. What do I use now to seal it up?????? Please help. This is holding up my tile.

Reply to
Michael Roback

a thin layer of silicone under the pan only at the drain assembly, if you put anything on the top side at the clamping ring it would plug up the weep holes.

Reply to
kenny b

I realize you're working with an existing situation but for future reference next time you do a shower pan for tile try pouring fibreglass. We've been doing this here at the Jersey shore for over 30 years and rarely get a leak, beats PVC or lead. Use a cast iron J.R. Smith drain fitting. It has a beveled edge that works beautifully by building up the floor even with it (make it thick so there is no movement in it), pitched toward the center of the drain, and catting the studs at least 6" off the floor, then pouring 2 layers of fibreglass over it, making sure the beveled edge of the drain is encased in the fibreglass. If it's done right it will never leak.

Reply to
TJE

If at first you don't suceed it may be time to call a professional. A $100.00 service call for consultation purposes is cheaper than the potential damage you may do based on the advice from novices. Choose your teachers well and remember you get what you pay for. Good luck!

Reply to
Pipeline9000

Considering the scope of the damage that can result from a leak under a shower pan it couldn't hurt to consult with a professional plumber. The $100.00 for the service call/consultation would be a wise investment but finding one is difficult. Many licensed plumbing contractors have misconceptions about various aspects of plumbing, shower pan liners notwithstanding. Choose your teachers well and remember you get what you pay for!

Reply to
Pipeline9000