Installing Kitchen Dishwasher, Air Gap?

I live in northern California. The topic is the Sears item #02214432000 Mfr. model #14432. It is a 18" Kenmore dishwasher, built-in. I have NO garbage disposer. Is it necessary to install an air gap under the countertop?

THANKS!

Reply to
SBC

"SBC"

The absolute correct way is to install the air gap through a hole in on the ledge of the kitchen sink. If it's not done this way, then IF your drain were to ever stop up, and IF the stopped up water filled the sink, THEN it could backflow and fill your dishwasher with dirty water.

However, most plumbers I know, simply loop the dishwasher drain as high as they can under the sink cabinet, hoping the aforementioned senario never happens (not that I'd ever violate the code, of course).

Reply to
Mike Grooms

IPC 409.3.1 Domestic dishwashing machines.

"...The waste line of domestic dishwashing machine discharging into a kitchen sink tailpiece or food waste grinder shall connect to a deck-mounted air gap or the waste line shall rise and be securely fastened to the underside of the sink rim or counter"

Can't tell you what California code says. Call your local building inspector.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:52:25 -0800, SBC wrote (in article ):

Yes a dishwasher airgap firring is required in the state of California whether or not there is a disposer. AND the airgap fitting must be mounted where the critical level (C/L) marking is 1" above the flood-level rim of the fixture.

Mounting an airgap fitting below the countertop would defeat the purpose of the device.

Doug

Reply to
plumbguru2

We are allowed to keep everything below countertop if we put a separate trap and air gap. I put the standpipe for my gap as high as I can so the sink will start to back up before the dishwasher trap overflows under the counter.

Do you ever put the trap under the floor? i.e.: in basement I have also brought my water supply up through floor directly into a st flare adapter.

Some of the new dishwashers have a funky air gap thing built into the water supply line. I think this makes a lot of sense.

BTW isnt the plug cutter tool awsome for punching holes in stainless steel sinks. I always amaze the carpenters when I use it, they always expect a hole saw.

Reply to
Ned Flanders