Hot water taps

Had to replace washer on hot tap(faucet) and I drained the hot water tank first.Is there any way to do this work without draining the tank.Thanks for any advice

Reply to
allang

Well, if there was a shutoff valve (usually on the wall below the tap) you could have closed that.

Was there?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You can shut off the stop valve under the sink.

or you can shut off the valve on the water heater

or you can shut off the valve next to the PRV

or you can shut off the valve to the entire house (at the meter)

If you d>Had to replace washer on hot tap(faucet) and I drained the hot water tank

Reply to
Blackbeard

Amis say "faucet". Brits say "taps." Many Brit homes feature domestic hot water schemes (gravity tanks, point of use pumps, etc) that Amis know nothing about.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

Thanks for advice all I did expect to find a valve on the outlet from the hot tank but not one fitted so i closed the valve on the inlet side and ran the taps.No shut off valve fitted at the taps.Thanks anyway

Reply to
allang

Ensure that you fit an isolating valve when the water is off. New installations have required them for years, but ancient ones might still be without.

Be careful if installing a valve on the output from the tank. It sounds like you have an old style gravity system. This depends on having an open to the air vent from the top of the tank. If you put a valve on there, it may explode. The valve must come after the air vent has separated off. If in doubt, just put ones near the taps.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle