Cracks in Toilet -- Advice? ...

Hello ...

I was wondering if someone might advise me.

There are hairline cracks in the pedestal part of my toilet -- the part between the bowl and the piece that is screwed into the floor.

I have noticed recently that when I flush the toilet, a small amount of water seeps through the crack -- perhaps a teaspoon or so of water.

Does this mean that I should replace the toilet? Or can this be solidly repaired?

Many thanks for any advice or information.

Linda W.

Reply to
Linda W.

D McCallum

Absolutely replace that toilet immediately. If you sit on that toilet and your weight caused it to fall apart, the sharp pieces of porcelain can very seriously injure or even KILL YOU. Replace that toilet ASAP.

Reply to
Blackbeard

May I ask -- are you a plumber? I was wondering if you could tell me what causes these cracks to occur.

And also -- I'll need a few days to have someone look at it and get an estimate. Do you think that would be okay? (

And many thanks.

Linda W.

Reply to
Linda W.

I'm a Master Plumber and I concur...get rid of that WC pronto. In addition to being a possible safety hazard, it may split open & flood your home while you're not there. A real mess if it's upstairs! If it's not essential, I'd advise shutting off the supply valve under the tank until you get someone to replace it.

A number of different factors can cause them to crack: imperfections from the factory, stress on the china due to improper installation, uneven tile floors coupled with lack of proper shimming, closet flange set too high, etc. Whoever replaces it for you should pay particular attention to the condition of the floor and the flange and make the nessicary adjustments/repairs to help prevent it from happening again.

Good Luck.

Tyler

Reply to
TJE

Yes, I'm a master plumber.

If you're waiting a few days to get an estimate, you should seriously consider turning that toilet off and putting it out of use until it has been replaced. I only know of one trajedy caused by someone continuing to use a toilet that was cracked. It came apart while he was sitting on it. It didn't kill him. But is cut into him and caused serious injury. That story was all the buzz in the plumbing industry about 5-6 years ago. The "victim" is still in a wheelchair from where the porcelain cut into his spinal column. The porcelain also did damage to his large intestines. The poor guy will be using a colostomy bag the rest of his life. So again...REPLACE THAT TOILET ASAP. It could kill you.

Reply to
Blackbeard

Thanks so much for this additional advice.

I've been making calls and am hoping that a plumber I've had do some work before will be able to do this for me tomorrow (Wednesday).

In the meantime, I will take your advice very seriously and be very cautious. I only have one bathroom (it's a condominium), so I can't not use it. But I will be very aware and cautious. That is such an awful story about the poor man who was seriously injured.

My plan is to purchase the toilet myself and then have the plumber install it. I told him on the telephone that I had seen a Kohler (it's a Wellworth) at Home Depot for $99 -- for the toilet and the tank -- and he said that that was a good brand and that he wouldn't be able to touch that price if he were to obtain the toilet for me. So I think it sounds as if it is more economical for me to purchase it and have him install it.

From doing some Google Groups reading, it sounds as if Kohler is considered a good brand. And the plumber said he thinks it is.

I will measure my current toilet and bring the measurements with me to Home Depot to make sure they are similar before purchasing the new toilet.

I also had an over-the-telephone quote from another plumbing company, who would also supply the toilet (American Standard -- which is what I have now). They quote they gave me is $422. That is more than I would like to spend, if possible.

So I'm hoping the other plumber will be able to do it tomorrow, and that there won't be any problems with my purchasing the toilet myself.

Thank you so much for your patience in advising me about this. I am sure that to a master plumber and others who read this group, these are very elementary questions, indeed. But for me, it is a learning experience, and since I know very little about it, the advice given here is very valuable to me.

Now I just hope the plumber can do the work tomorrow. I'm worried, not just because of what you have warned me about, but also lest there be any water damage under the toilet that may cause problems in the condo unit downstairs.

Thanks again.

Linda W.

Reply to
Linda W.

blackbeard' what state are you plumbing in?

Reply to
jim donovan

I'm in North Carolina (central part of the state). Why do you ask?

Reply to
Blackbeard

did not know they had master plumbing licenses in nc. just state or your local journy mans card.

Reply to
jim donovan