Cracks in Toilet -- Advice? ...

Hello ...

I was wondering if someone might advise me.

There are hairline cracks in the pedestal part of my toilet -- the part between the bowl and the piece that is screwed into the floor.

I have noticed recently that when I flush the toilet, a small amount of water seeps through the crack -- perhaps a teaspoon or so of water.

Does this mean that I should replace the toilet? Or can this be solidly repaired?

Many thanks for any advice or information.

Linda W.

Reply to
Linda W.

I would replace the toilet. It is not a difficult job. (I'm just qn average home owner, not a pro, b.t.w.)

Reply to
montana

Time for a new toilet. Watch out for junky ones that don't flush well. Consider one with a pressure flush mechanism. They don't cost much more any more and require less maintence.

Reply to
Art

snipped-for-privacy@his.com (Linda W.) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Could have been screwed down too tight. You should replace it fairly soon-- if the floor is constantly damp from the leak, it'll rot. Bowl replacement is a pretty easy job.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
(none)

Yes, and do it right away since you are getting water. There is no satisfactory repair likely. You could take it up, check it, and put in a new wax donut, but with this crack, tightening the bolts will likely just crack it even more and you will not be able to tighten it to the floor. A crack anywhere in a toilet, especially with water seepage, means replace it.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

So you don't think this is repairable?

I have no real idea what this might cost -- to replace the toilet, I mean. What should I expect to pay, do you think? (I'd need to have someone do the work. I don't think I could do it myself. And I would guess I should call a plumber rather than a handyman for something like this???)

And thanks ...

Linda W.

Reply to
Linda W.

A good toilet is around $250. You can buy junk for $69 if you want. Call plumbing supplies and ask who they recommend for installation. You'll probably get it installed cheaper that way then by using Home Depot installation but get a price from them too.

Reply to
Art

If you've got a crack in the base it really isn't a good idea to try to repair it. It's just not going to be worth it (or hold up).

You can find a decent toilet & the parts you need to install it for under $200 and the only reason you might not want to DIY is because toilets can be heavy. If you have a handy friend who can help you, there's no reason the two of you can't do this.

I've had a bunch of bad luck with both plumbers & handymen. It's amazing what people will tell you about a simple job. I've finally found a very good plumber & a couple of good handymen, but replacing a toilet is a job I tackled. I had a diagram of where the various pieces parts go. It really isn't complicated.

You'd be surprised at what you can do.

Reply to
montana

Linda, *YOU* can replace the toilet yourself. Really and truly. This is a very easy job that will boost your self confidence immensely once you finish it. A helper would be good for assistance in getting the old toilet off the wastepipe flange and putting the new toilet down. Great instructions here:

If your flange bolts are rusted and you can't unscrew the nut, just take a small hacksaw blade and cut the bolt off underneath the nut. Or, you could just break up the entire toilet :).

Reply to
xymergy

Thanks so much for this advice.

I looked at the link you provided, and you're right -- it does look relatively simple.

If I was on the ground floor or in a house, I'd be very tempted to try to do it myself. My concern is being on the second floor and having another unit underneath mine. If I did the installation myself and there was any problem ... I'm not even sure if that would be an issue with my condo unit owner's policy, should there be a problem.

And I know that, as you said, it would be a self-confidence boost. Boy ... if I wasn't on the second floor, I'd surely be tempted to give it a try.

Someone who has been reading the posts e-mailed me to suggest that I watch the plumber when he does the installation, so I'll have a better idea of how it's done. And I will certainly plan to do just that.

But looking at those pictures, as I said, it's tempting, all right. :-)

Linda W.

Reply to
Linda W.

Just a reality check.... a toilet is pretty heavy and getting it square on for a good seal takes practice.

Reply to
Art

All great advice, the only thing I didn't see that is important. Yes important whether you do it yourself or hire it done. What kind of flooring do you have. If its tile then make sure you/plumber uses a tall wax ring. Some plumbers will double the wax ring to ensure a good fit.

Calling around out of the yellow pages isn't the only way to find a good plumber. The supply houses are usually hesitant to recommend. Try calling the plumbers counterparts like an electrician, framer, concrete, sheetrock etc. ask them who they would use as a plumber. Even better if you know a tradesman in the home building/repair business ask them. CAVEAT EMPTOR though a referral doesn't mean good inexpensive service. I found perhaps the best most reasonable sewer rooter guy by asking a well-respected plumber. My rooter guy beats the National guys by half and is far more experienced and ethical.

I would ask brothers, cousins, friends and co-workers if they've done it before. You might get an eager beaver willing to help, with limited experience.

GOOD LUCK

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF

Darrell