Caulking around a self rimming sink rather than underneath?

My father-in-law and I recently installed a self rimming stainless steel sink to our new laminate counter tops. When we installed the sink we didn't think to put a bead of caulk underneath the rim of the sink before mounting it, however after mounting the sink I caulked around the sink with Polyseamseal Tub and Tile Ultra Sealant and wiped down the excess sealant with a wet rag.
Will this method that I used do a sufficient job of keeping water from leaking underneath the rim of the sink and preventing water damage to the counter tops?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It'll probably be OK. Most plumbers put putty under the rim, and then chalk the finished edge after it's tightened down. The putty acts like a dam, keeping moisture at bay. I wouldn't worry too much though.