Cast Iron Sewer Pipe........

My home was built in 1917, and the waste water/sewer is the original. I have recently noticed some large rust nodules hanging from underneath the pipe. Some so bad, I am afraid to touch them for fear of putting my finger right through the pipe. Obviously, It should be replaced before the inevitable happens. I would like to tackle the job myself, but don't know much about codes. For instance: Can I replace with PVC of the same diameter? How do I transition from the cast iron to be left in place with the new PVC? And finally - is this going to be as nasty a job as I think it will be(speaking in terms of filth and stench not difficulty!)?
: Any ideas, info, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
call a licensed plumber
"Wizbang"
I'd go along with the idea of calling a plumber. If you're determinded, and if the pipe is in the open, then yes, you can use the same diameter PVC pipe as a replacement. There are adaptors that make the job easy. The tough part for the amateur is cutting the cast iron.

PVC
I suppose the amateur worst-case scenario is attempting to cut the pipe, watching it crumble, and repeating the process until it disappears into a concrete wall with nothing left to attach to.
or even worse getting crushed by pipe

determinded,
Whats the best type of adaptor? PVC has a slightly larger diamator than cast.
Mike :)

PVC
Fernco or equal: http://www.fernco.com/home.html

determinded,
diameter
easy. The

What other clamps are equal to a Fernco? Would using one of Fernco's Shear Ring Clamps further improve the strength of a Fernco 1056 clamp? A Proflex 3000-44 is listed for ABS to Cast. What do you think of those?
Mike :)

"Michael"
Oh for crying out loud! Just go get a 4" Fernco and leave us alone.
there all aliens