YOUR policy on Xmas lights

Tony wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

;-)

Reply to
Red Green

re: "And stockings hung by the chimney with nails. "

Aren't they supposed to be hung with care?

I'm pretty sure I saw some care on sale in the latest Harbor Freight ad.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "Used to be, you'd spend $20 bucks on a nice string, and you'd get a decade out of them. "

I saw some "commercial grade" at Home Depot for something like $14 next to the $5.99 sets.

I wonder if they're worth > twice the price.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hmmm, thanks for the tip, I've been reticent to buy another pack from walmart, might hafta try some of those....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Let us know what you think.

Here...let me chip in on the first string to help defray the cost of you testing them for the rest of us.

DerbyDad03

Hey, that's a couple bucks; thanks!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Fuck off, you Mormon moron!

Steve

Go there, and read stuff that will make your eyebrows raise so fast, they fly off your face!

Reply to
Steve B

re: "And stockings hung by the chimney with nails. "

Aren't they supposed to be hung with care?

I'm pretty sure I saw some care on sale in the latest Harbor Freight ad.

reply:

Translated into Mandarin Chinese, "care" comes out 16d duplex coated ring shank sinker nails.

HTH

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

re: "Used to be, you'd spend $20 bucks on a nice string, and you'd get a decade out of them. "

I saw some "commercial grade" at Home Depot for something like $14 next to the $5.99 sets.

I wonder if they're worth > twice the price.

reply:

Of course they are, you dolt! But only if you buy the Star Wars Ray Gun shaped tester, the pack of replacement bulbs, and extra fuses.

Translation: about $50 bucks.

Steve ;-) Merry Christmas

Reply to
Steve B

Let us know what you think.

Here...let me chip in on the first string to help defray the cost of you testing them for the rest of us.

Do what I do. I take my piles and piles of lights to the old folks home. I take them two testers that look like Star Trek phasers. A pack of replacement bulbs. I hide a couple of percocetts and a couple of ludes in there for any old hippies. I come back in two weeks with a week old carrot cake and pick them up, and they're ready. Be sure to take off the marked down price of the carrot cake. Those old farts can just sit for hours and test the lights. Reminds them of doing home repairs before the alt.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

Yeah, I bought some of those. They make it a lot easier. Still, you need a ladder, but a lot of it can be done from the ground with that pole.

steve

Reply to
Steve B

I've seen the elaborate Christmas displays people put up in their yards in competition with their neighbors. The incredible amount of money spent on lights, animation and music just to outdo the guy across the street is insane. Some of them show quite a bit of talent and imagination but I wonder what would happen if those folks put all that effort into something productive?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Like spending several hours a day on Usenet, maybe? :^/

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

My roommates watch football and scream and shout at the TV. That's what they do for entertainment, while I expand my mind with mostly intelligent discourse via The Interweb. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

South of me in Gatlinburg are a million little shops upon shops. They decorate for christmas and make a big deal about it so they get visitors ($$$$) all year long. The really sad part is that even the churches are caught up in the gaudy christmas lights! I think things were better when they put up a nativity scene. Now among the other lights and displays the churches have, there are also giant blinking cross', each church trying to outdo the other each year.

Reply to
Tony

I just gave my new next door neighbors about six brand new strings of miniature lights. They are really going all out. Seem like super nice folks, been here about 3-4 months. I got the lights at WalMart after Christmans last year at about 90% discount. I don't usually do any decorating anyway, and really don't feel like it this year. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331