York vs Trane AC?

Does anyone know how good the York home air conditioning units are? I was looking into the York Affinity 5T series...seemed to offer alot compared to Trane. I'm not arguing Trane is a top dog unit...everyone seems to say they are very good. I want a good unit, but it doesn't need to be the best. The price differential is quite significant.
Is York considered one of the "good" brands out there? I have not been able to find much feedback on them...for better or worse.
Thanks
-Joe
Yes,

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:58:22 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

York is NOT as good as the Trane. Pay about 40% more for the Trane.
ya and pay 300% more when it breaks down. and it will.

I've heard Trane repairs can be relatively pricey.

He said he didn't need the very best, and the price differential is important to him.
Having said that, we're happy with our York 12 SEER AC unit after 5 years of cooling a 2,500 sq. ft. house with 3 floors (the attic isn't nearly as cool as the first and second floors, so we augment that with a window unit up there). For us, the price was right, and the performance is fine. We're in western New York, though, not Houston or some similar place in need of constant cooling.
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:58:22 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Happy with mine. Going on 11 years. Nice thing is that when I needed a part, the local parts place had it on a Saturday.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

York in general has good reputation. Are you really comparing similar units if the price differential is quite significant? Perhaps the Trane is at the bleeding edge of the efficiency/feature curve while the York is good but not quite as good...
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:58:22 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, but installation makes the big difference with any A/C. On the other hand, to muddy the waters a bit, American Standard builds Trane. You might find an equal American Standard unit for less money. I am not qualified to tell you how one determines "equal"
I'm happy with my Trane 16i heat pump
Roy Starrin wrote: ...

I was just coming back to add to my earlier response for OP to not leave out or minimize any difference in installer/installation in that cost differential...
On Fri 06 Jun 2008 01:58:22p, told us...

There's no disputing that Trane is a top quality product. However, York also makes a excellent product. My dad was an engineer with York Corporation for nearly 35 years. We never had anything but York in the various homes my parents' owned, and there was never a problem. I also had York in two of my homes and never had a problem.
York is one of the oldest manufacturers of A/C and refrigeration equipment, preceded only by Carrier, IIRC. Trane is manufactured by American Standard, and has not been around nearly as long. Of course, this in informational only, as the history of A/C's pioneers has little to do with the quality of today's products.
You need to compare efficiency ratings of the units that you're looking at, as well as what the quoted installation costs include and how they compare in cost.
Let us know...
--
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Quality of installation matters a lot too. Poorly installed best equipment may not work well vs. Quality installation with second tier equipment.
On Sat 07 Jun 2008 08:50:15a, Tony Hwang told us...

You're absolutely right.
--
Wayne Boatwright
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

loud. The AC compressor is very quiet, but not the inside blower. Other than that the unit has worked very well for several years now. I had one problem the first summer after I had it put in. The expansion valve (is that right?) stuck the first spring when I tried to start cooling. But they got it fixed in one day at no cost since it was less than a year old.
Bill

the nomenclature data for the units involved, i.e., the system and the blower. http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s b67a3f70b0508e41554cfd06e1a963&f=1 Note if it is supposed to be a variable speed blower, and whether it seems to be operating that way. Also, if the duct system is new and sized to the system, or whether they simply changed the hardware. HTH