Yakking and hogging phone lines

Page 1 of 2
With storms, people need to make emergency phone calls. It's OK to make a few "I'm OK, honey" calls. But, please be brief, and then end the call, and free up the phone line. You may have unlimited calling, but your neighbor may be needing to call ambulance.
✖
On Oct 29, 6:05 am, "Stormin Mormon"

cell phones are designed during emergencies to only allow 911 calls, unless your a first responder. plus cell systems arent nearly as resiliant as the old plain old telephone system thats being abandoned....
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks, I'd forgotten that.
cell phones are designed during emergencies to only allow 911 calls, unless your a first responder. plus cell systems arent nearly as resiliant as the old plain old telephone system thats being abandoned....
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/29/2012 9:43 AM, bob haller wrote:

That is how things used to be. Traditional wired carriers are running away from that market as fast as they can and the wired providers of today certainly aren't the Bell class of old.
Add pictures here
✖
Sorry to hear. I grew up on land phone lines, and hope they stay for many more years. I hope, but don't expect them to.
Did you hear about the old age pensioner who was so poor, his hearing aid was on a party line. He'd turn it on, and hear people talking.

That is how things used to be. Traditional wired carriers are running away from that market as fast as they can and the wired providers of today certainly aren't the Bell class of old.
Add pictures here
✖

Can you cite something that substantiates that?
I'm not saying you're wrong...it's just that that doesn't seem to jive with the information at this site:
http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/emergency-information/tips.html
A number of the tips specifically address how to use a cell phone during an emergency, how to redial if you don't get through the first time, etc. There is no indication that they will not work for anything other than 911 calls.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:20:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

On my way home today I tried calling at my usual spot along the way, but the call did not go through. The Bluetooth screen in the car had a message about the phone connection. I pulled out my phone and it had on the screen, a message reading
"no carrier available, emergency calls only"
I have no idea if it would work or not.
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks for the field report. Did you try texting?
On my way home today I tried calling at my usual spot along the way, but the call did not go through. The Bluetooth screen in the car had a message about the phone connection. I pulled out my phone and it had on the screen, a message reading
"no carrier available, emergency calls only"
I have no idea if it would work or not.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:33:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

No. I was driving, even if I did, my wife would not have her phone on.
Add pictures here
✖

Your wife is the only one you ever text?
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 01:32:37 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Actually, I've never texted her as she rarely has her phone on and would not know hot to get to the message if I did. She has a flip phone. In a busy month, I may have three text messages. Daughter once in a while.
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/29/2012 4:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I travel a lot and have never seen that. Maybe you have some sort of limited plan that doesn't include roaming onto other carriers except for 911?
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/30/2012 07:42 AM, George wrote:

I have seem a similar message (from an AT&T phone). Apparently, the only cell tower it could connect to belongs to a different company that won't accept connections from AT&T.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 10/30/2012 9:20 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

That sounds like what I described. Some plans (especially those big box mart deals) will only work on the native carrier because it costs more to roam onto another carrier.
Add pictures here
✖

No, it is an areas with ATT coverage but sometimes poor signal. There are times I've not connected there but the fist time I ever looked for the message.
Add pictures here
✖
I was not able to find it on the web. I've heard several times, that first responders get something programmed in their cell phones. Their calls are more likely to go through.
Can you cite something that substantiates that?
I'm not saying you're wrong...it's just that that doesn't seem to jive with the information at this site:
http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/emergency-information/tips.html
A number of the tips specifically address how to use a cell phone during an emergency, how to redial if you don't get through the first time, etc. There is no indication that they will not work for anything other than 911 calls.
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/29/2012 12:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The problem with it is the law of unintended consequences kicks in. Suppose you get trapped in a building collapse and have your cell phone in your pocket and it is working but you can't call anyone because others with the special privilege are using their phones nearby?
Add pictures here
✖
Ideally, you'd be able to call 911, but not if all circuits busy.
wrote in message
The problem with it is the law of unintended consequences kicks in. Suppose you get trapped in a building collapse and have your cell phone in your pocket and it is working but you can't call anyone because others with the special privilege are using their phones nearby?
Add pictures here
✖

It would still work with 9-1-1 calls.
✖

The cell system is essentially the same as POTS except for the last leg to the customer, and at that level cellular has built-in redundancy and load-sharing that POTS does not. A falling tree or flooded junction box can take out your POTS line or all the lines in your neighborhood. If one cell tower goes out, there's still a good chance that you'll be within range of another tower. And if you have to leave your house, you'll still have your phone. Sitting on top of your house, surrounded by flood water, would you rather have a land line or a cell phone?
Add pictures here
✖