XP registry hack DO NOT USE IT

Possible because it seems to work...so far... And remember I'm not the OP!

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

No, the point went completely over your head. I never said that MSFT would deliberately screw with anything. They don't have to. They have clearly stated that they are not issuing updates for XP for home and business. And they have specifically warned against using the Embedded XP hack, stating that they are not testing, validating, what those updates will or won't do when you install them on a product that they are not intended for. THAT is the issue. Might they put something into a future update to make sure it won't install on a system that you're not legally entitled to install it on and for which it's not intended? Perhaps. So, yeah add that to your list of potential problems.

Show us where MSFT has said that. And why do you fail to understand that applying software updates that you have no license for is illegal?

You're demonstrating that you're making wild assumptions about what effect an update for one product will have on another and have no experience in the real world with what it takes to validate a product. Everyone reading this knows you have no way of knowing what those updates will or won't do. You don't have the source code, don't know what specific differences there are and you haven't validated a damn thing. That's with regard to what's out right now, let alone what's coming in the next 3 years.

It;s been brought up before in the thread you started, by posters other than me. It's perfectly valid. A huge part of security vulerability is browser related. Yet you want to present a hack to update an OS with Internet Explorer updates for versions of IE that won't even work anymore. Who is even using IE6? The last 3 versions of IE won't run on XP period. If you care about browser security on XP, just install an alternate up to date browser. Good grief.

As has been pointed out to you a dozen times now, if you're using IE6 you have bigger problems than security updates.

Sure, you have no qualifications whatever to determine how future updates intended for Embedded XP will affect XP Home. Microsoft has specifically advised against doing it.

You whole position here is like the nutty lady that was arguing about airplane fires. Her faulty logic was that because a basic handout about fires doesn't specifically say that inhaling smoke particulates is harmful and can cause injury, then it means that inhaling them is merely an "inconvenience".

Your faulty logic is that because Embedded XP has a lot in common with XP Home, that it's perfectly fine and legal to trick XP Home into applying future updates intended only for Embedded XP and that it will work with no possible problems. It's even worse than the nutty lady, because in this case Microsoft has specifically advised against it. And somehow you then try to morph that into nothing bad will happen because MSFT doesn't want to screw with their customers. Really? The .0000000000001% that would do what you're proposing, possibly screwing themselves after MSFT told them not to, and you're sure MSFT is not only going to give a damn, but take steps to make sure it won't happen?

One user has already tried it and reported what happened. If others want to use it, that's fine. But I sure wouldn't do it based on the recommendation of the resident troll who's main purpose here isn't contributing to the group, but making one stupid OT post after another. And you want to talk about "divisive"? Give us a break.

Reply to
trader_4

What exactly is your point? You posted:

"Instincts may tell you not to trust HB...but logic says otherwise. Many ppl with businesses use their PC for everything: surfing; bookkeeping; payroll and such... M$ agreed to continue updating Windows embedded AND Windows XP for those folks (and I believe XP in China)."

The link you just provided is just a link to the hack, which is old news. What you posted and I replied to was your above claim, that MSFT was continuing to update WIN XP for business PC's. That isn't true. They are not updating XP for PCs, only for products that contain the Embedded XP OS. If you buy a PC for your business, it never came with Embedded XP to begin with. If you bought a cash register system, an ATM, etc then it might have Embedded XP.

Reply to
trader_4

...or ANY Window update for that matter! ;^)

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

from your own cite In short, you use the updates at your own risk. But just because these POSReady updates will probably work with your Windows XP machine doesn't mean you should do it. Yes, Microsoft has a vested interest in getting you to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 - but, to be fair, unless you have a really important reason for sticking with XP, it really does make sense to upgrade to Windows 7.

If you do use the hack, don't assume that your XP machine will be safe from exploits. There's also every chance that, one day, one of the updates will make your system unbootable

Reply to
ChairMan
[snip]

These are really good things, XP or not.

However, I would put 3 ahead of 2, and make it include your email/news program (and maybe media player too).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

and IE9 is the last version that will run on Win Vista. The current version of Firefox will run on XP.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I agree. Anti-virus programs are, IMHO, much over-rated. They're good at checking for old news, but it's more important to start with a platform that's not particularly prone to attack (i.e. one other than Windows).

Reply to
cjt
[snip]

When I check the logs for my website, there are usually a few users with XP/IE6.

I'd use Firefox (the newest version does work on XP).

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

And?

So will Chrome, Opera, SeaMonkey, etc. There are also a number of "lightweight" browsers that will run on XP.

Reply to
Ron

Chrome is lighter on resources and faster.

Reply to
Ron

And reports way too much info on your browsing habits to Giggle . Screw that , I'll stick with Firefox .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Reports to who? What do you have to hid?

Reply to
Ron

Reports to GOOGLE , and while I have nothing I particularly need to hide , it's nobody's damn business what I do , where I go , and what I look at on the internet . Didn't you ever wonder how those web pages you visit tailor those ads just for you ? How did they know you drive a yugo and wear size 48 waist jeans ? It's because they track your browsing habits , web pages , and for all I know they track your keystrokes . As I said , I value my privacy and what I do is none of their business . I go as far as using a program that blocks most of the ads on web pages too . I also change the channel when commercials come on TV ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Ahhhhhhh, I get it now. You're pissed because Google knows your pant size and they are now sending you ads for the Manzierre?

Reply to
John Greer

Oh you're really really funny .

Reply to
Terry Coombs
[snip]

Often "what you have to hide" is irrelevant. It's what they make up and gets used against you.

Reply to
sam E