Would you go into the attic?

Page 1 of 3
I keep hearing about people drowning in the attic.
Huh?
Didn't they notice there wasn't an egress up there?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

In desperate times, people are prone do doing crazy things that result in loss of life. Sometimes in large numbers.
2 Nov 2004 and 7 Nov, 2000 spring to mind. :-)
Best regards, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /

What was their option? Drown in the street or go to a higher spot? Those that could chopped holes in their roof. Others that didn't or couldnt' died.

Personally, I'm all in favor of: "When the Governor tells you to GTF out, GTF out, and take your little dog with you."
That's all well and good if you have the means to do so. I'm sure that some figured they could "ride it out." I'm equally certain that many, many more did not leave because of lack of ability or resources to do so.

Swim out the window, before they go under and climb on the roof?
Bear in mind NO flooded the day after the storrm.
I would still take my chances out in the storm instead of dying a slow death in the attic.
I have been in a couple hurricanes in the last year or so and I do keep PFDs in the house but I would have a house full of float tested rafts if I didn't,

Drown or climb. What would you do?
I would climb.
Frankly after seeing all this if I did not live on a hill I would seriously be considering what non-power tools I needed to store in the attic to make it to the roof.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

Right. Axe, hatchet, sledge, wrecking bar in that order.

I liked the woman that used her refrigerator as a boat. Both her and her dog survived in that fridge. The door was facing up, and she just floated. She said it was a rough ride, but she made it. She deserves praise for good thinking. (This was on the tv news).

Gable vents and windows are your friend. Although I've never understood why all roofs don't come with access hatches.

Probably because they are a source of major leaks.

Actually my fat butt would require big nails and a hammer to stay on top of my 11/12 roof.
Colbyt
Goedjn wrote:

My grandfather was a roofer in the Bronx. He used to regularly cover skylights because it was a preferred entry point for burglars.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On 8/31/2005 7:29 PM US(ET), Goedjn took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

sometimes I wish that I had one to get out onto the second floor roof to make repairs or installations, rather than using a 30' ladder. As for an emergency exit in the case of flooding, I'm 400' above sea level and even if all the ice caps melted all at once, I'll still be 140' above sea level (the Tsunamis created by the sudden melting would probably get me though).
--
Bill

I'd keep a pair of plane tickets up there.......
I dont understand this. Apparently they dont always put windows in the attics in that area. I dont think I have ever seen a house without one or more windows in the attic. Common sense says that when the water is up to your chest and you are in an attic, it's time to break a window and swim. Yet, on the news they were showing rescuers using chainsaws and sawing thru roofs. That tells me there were no windows.
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:04:19 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:48:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

These are not generally a "stand up" attic. The pitch is uaually 3:12. If the house is really designed with wind storm in mind there won't be a gable end either. They will slope down on all 4 sides so there are no flat vertical surfaces to blow in.

No tall attics are meant to be habitable. Many are just a space above the ceiling and only a small hatch to access it. Mine has gable vents, no floor except a couple of planks down the center. If I could get there in rising water and save my life, I'd give it a try. You get desperate when death is very close.

Never seen a hip roof? You must live in an older city (pre-1950s), and not get out much. From the post-WWII era, right up until the modern drywall McMansion era with multiple faux gables, hip roofs (at least on one-story houses) were considered to make the house seem more low-slung and modern-looking. Makes the attic space (if you can call trusses an attic) harder to vent, but what the hell, it looks sleek.
aem sends...
aem sends...