Worthless, expensive home add-ons.

Page 1 of 2
Who can add to this list?
Gutter Guard or Gutter Helmet. I heard an average 38' x 24' ranch or split entry houses' gutters could cost up to $5,000 to replace with the "never clean your gutters again" add-ons. And you still have to clean 'em. Vinyl spray on siding. The ad I'm hearing states that it comes in 1,800 colors and looks better than fake looking vinyl siding. I've seen some good looking vinyl siding, some that looks like wood, some that looks like Shaker Shingles, haven't seen the vinyl stone siding, but I heard some brands look good. You'd think that some of the 1800 colors available in the spray-on would look like hell. And I hear it's nothing but a very expensive paint job.
Sealing an asphalt driveway. Looks pretty but kinda useless
--

>> Remove "zz" from e-mail address to direct reply. <<

"TOM KAN PA" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic> wrote in message

That really depends on a number of factors including climate. In some areas it's just as important as painting your house.
BB

It's not worthless if it makes your driveway pretty!

Please watch how you trim! You make it look as though you are replying to me, which you are not. I disagreed with Steve Stone.
BB

me,
Will you look at that! Sorry!

It keeps the water from getting under the asphalt and freezing in the winter. (Night/day freeze/thaw cycles) Minute cracks become huge tears, and eventually eroded valleys here if you don't seal the asphalt at least once every couple of years.
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 23:00:51 GMT, BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

Which areas?
(Maybe only those frequented by the Irish Travelers who do it?)
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net wrote:

Sealing a driveway properly, with the properly documented amount of materials and labor, is not what the Irish Travelers are notorious for.
UrinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

<ahh...>
Worthless is ... a gas fireplace that looks pretty but sucks ... warm air out of the house and doesn't recirculate warm air. It's expensive AND wastes money for the rest of time. -B

clean
colors
looking
Shingles,
You'd
like
I've got one for you:
Stucco coated homes are the norm in my part of the world, and a well-known, if not well-regarded, local home renovation outfit has been advertising a thin, spray-on coating they claim will increase a home's R value by something like 10 or 12 points. They say it contains tiny ceramic beads, same as the material used to insulate the space shuttle. Best of all, this miracle product can usually be applied for less than $3,000. They claim that money will be returned to homeowners through energy savings, within the first couple of years. Now, I'm not saying they're fibbing, but ...
Rob
Specter wrote:

Maybe they're not.
http://www.ornl.gov/info/press_releases/archive/mr19960910-01.html

But if it burns off during takeoff and re-entry what good is it?
M R wrote:

I wonder if they also sell stick on magnets to increase the efficiency of your gas furnace?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic says...

Tom-
I disagree about the Gutter Guards. I have them on the back side of my house. Cost was $200 (50 linear feet, added when I had some new windows put in on that side). No gutter guards on the front side of my house.
The guarded side is virtually maintenance free (I spray collected junk off the tops twice a year, about 20 minutes total per year). The other side, without the guards, needs to be cleaned about 6 times per year, taking about 20 minutes per time, or about 2 hours per year worth of maintenance.
Clearly the guards help, and I'll be putting them on the front sometime soon.
Marc

At that price, they seem like a good deal. I've heard prices that were MUCH more making them more on the order of a scam. Ed
Leafguard gutter with built in gutter guards work well and look nicer than normal gutters but are indeed expensive. On the other hand I had Gutter Helmets added to my previous house on existing gutters and they were a waste of money. They only work if your roof slope is right.
wrote in message

of my

windows
house.
junk
were MUCH

Besides... bees think it's the ideal place to build their nests!
BB

My favorite is replacement windows. A home with decent storms before new windows would have about a 50 year payback on new windows. If that same homeowner bought some caulk and used it, the payback should be about 5 days.
I know, many will disagree, particulary those who just spent $10k on new windows :)