Worst Household Chores ?

Page 1 of 2
Hi folks, just wondered what the general opinion was on the worst household chore. Got to be a two horse race between cleaning the inside of the windows and cleaning the oven.
We are considering taking on an Oven Cleaning franchise but are curious about the market. Would you pay ฃ40 to have someone overhaul your oven ?
Chris
Add pictures here
โœ–
We are considering taking on an Oven Cleaning franchise but are curious about the market. Would you pay ฃ40 to have someone overhaul your oven ?
Good luck, but it is not for me. Even if I didn't have a self cleaning oven, I'd not pay that much.
Add pictures here
โœ–
snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com, 3/15/2006,6:23:13 AM, wrote:

Personally I hate dusting.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Hi folks, just wondered what the general opinion was on the worst household chore. Got to be a two horse race between cleaning the inside of the windows and cleaning the oven.
We are considering taking on an Oven Cleaning franchise but are curious about the market. Would you pay ฃ40 to have someone overhaul your oven ?
In the US, at least, most newer ovens are self-cleaning. I haven't had to do the "heat-the oven-apply chemicals-find gloves-and-old-clothes, scrub-all afternoon" routine in about fifteen years, so no, I wouldn't need to pay someone for that. What *would* I pay $80 to have done? Hmmm....
-outdoor window washing -anything that involves tools I don't currently own (power-washing the exterior, steam cleaning rugs and furniture, that sort of thing) -large "annual cleaning"-type jobs that I procrastinate over (scrubbing and bleaching tile grout, carpet shampooing, closet organizing and cleaning... the big, time-consuming things that aren't part of weekly cleaning)
Donna
Add pictures here
โœ–
snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote:

Ever clean a toilet?

I wouldn't pay anything -- I have a self-cleaning oven. All I have to do is press the button that says "Clean", wait a few hours, and then brush or vacuum the ash out of the bottom.
--
Regards,
โœ–

How much would you pay to have somebody come over and push the button for you?
Add pictures here
โœ–
i'd pay $80 to have someone listen to my wife complain about my uncontrollable urge to fix stuff.

โœ–

Save it to buy new versions of what you 'fix'.
Cheers, Banty
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:20:15 -0500, "tom&kel"

Did you ever see the movie "Boys night out". You should rent that if you can find it (A lot of cities have a place that rents vintage movies.) Although this was from 1963 and it might be hard to find. Maybe on cable somehow. Isn't there cable on demand? Will they find you old movies, like Turner owns a bunch?
if you want to know more, I'll tell you more.
Add pictures here
โœ–
i'll check it out......looks pretty good. i've always liked james garner and tony randall.

โœ–
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:03:16 -0500, "tom&kel"

Someone in my family used to ruin movies for me, so I hate to give any details of a movie for fear of ruining it for others.
But you'll like it.
Maybe anyone who regularly reads this group will.
I've seen the movie once on tv since I originally saw it at the theater, but I'd forgetten who was in it. I like them too. I loved Rockford.

Add pictures here
โœ–
i just checked the overview on www.imdb.com. he (garner) was awesome in the great escape.

โœ–
-> >Hi folks, just wondered what the general opinion was on the worst -> >household chore. Got to be a two horse race between cleaning the inside -> >of the windows and cleaning the oven. -> -> Ever clean a toilet? -> > -> >We are considering taking on an Oven Cleaning franchise but are curious -> >about the market. Would you pay ฃ40 to have someone overhaul your oven -> >? -> -> I wouldn't pay anything -- I have a self-cleaning oven. All I have to do is -> press the button that says "Clean", wait a few hours, and then brush or -> vacuum the ash out of the bottom.
That's pretty expensive, too. The cleaning is done by raising the temperature in the oven so high that whatever food debris is in there turns to ash. It uses a lot of electricity (or gas). Not as expensive as someone cleaning the oven for you, but more costly than manually cleaning the thing. (Like mom used to do.)
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

No, it isn't.

I'm perfectly well aware of how a self-cleaning oven works -- and also well aware that my time has value, too. And it's not nearly as expensive as you think: only about a dollar's worth of electricity.
How much does it cost in supplies to clean an oven manually? Fifty cents? A quarter? So you're saving fifty to seventy-five cents by cleaning it manually. How much is your time worth? Is the twenty to thirty minutes it takes to clean an oven manually really worth only a couple of quarters?
--
Regards,
โœ–

Absolutely! I find that I only need to use the self-cleaning cycle 3-4 times a year or, at the most, once every other month. I keep a disposable aluminum tray in the bottom which handles any major spillovers.
It's not even the money issue. I simply don't relish getting down on the floor and dealing with the chemicals and scrubbing.
--
Wayne Boatwright ีฟีฌ
โœ–

No, it is free. Really, it is. Do you heat your house? If so, you clean the oven, you make heat that helps to heat your house instead of using your central heater. No additional cost. We don't clean the oven in the summer because we do a lot more grilling outside. When we do clean the oven, most often it is right after something was roasting so it is already warmed up rather well. Your mom spent many hours of labor for no return.
It this better than using caustic chemicals that will go into the sewage system?
Add pictures here
โœ–
Suzie-Q ( snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net) said... [about self cleaning ovens...]

Hogwash.
Just look at the Energuide ratings on appliances ("Energuide" is what we have here in Canada, but there is a similar sticker on new appliances in the USA with a similar-sounding name that escapes me at the moment).
Self cleaning ovens use LESS energy overall than non-self cleaning ovens.
How can that be, when the cleaning is done as Suzie-Q describes above?
Simple: insulation.
Due to the high temperatures needed for the cleaning cycle, the oven must be far better insulated than non-self cleaning units.
This insulation level results in the appliance using less energy during cooking operations. So much less energy, that the energy used to clean it once in awhile added to the cooking energy it consumes is LESS than the energy consumed by a non-self cleaner. That does not even consider any environmental costs that using chemical cleaners impose.
Now, I suppose that if you run the cleaning cycle fairly often, it will consume more energy. In practice, we probably run the self cleaning cycle on ours just about as often (maybe a little more) as we would perform a manual cleaning if this oven were not a self cleaner, which is probably between four and six times a year. Your mileage may vary.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"

There are also, at least there were, continuous cleaning ovens. They have a surface inside that promotes the burning off of splatters at normal oven temps.
So you never have to clean it, although it's also never totally clean.
Maybe runnning it empty would cause it to get totally clean, but I got the idea that that would take a lot of hours and even though I once had a special need, I haven't tried.
Add pictures here
โœ–
snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com says...

Too many self-cleaning ovens around here.
IF I were you, I would go into general housekeeping, or something like car detailing. I *did* pay for that once, to spruce up a car for sale, and I think I'd use it again about yearly.
Banty
Add pictures here
โœ–

1. Place a large pan of ammonia & water in oven. 2. Let stand for 24-36 hours. 3. Remove & discard ammonia & water. 4. Wipe inside of oven (incl racks) with an old rag. (gentle wiping will do - no elbow grease needed.) 5. Done
Optional: 6. Use the $$ saved on oven cleaner to buy yourself a treat.
Add pictures here
โœ–