wood shims to level refrigerator: so slide better, what paint?

Bought this new refrigerator. Installers couldn't crank the front up enough so that the door would swing closed; instead, wants to swing farther open.

So, I got a package of shims, maybe 1/3 inch at one end, triangles down to a point (of course) at the other end.

Looks like cheap pine.

Which will deteriorate, get dirty, absorb spills, plus having a weak (easily indented) surface.

So I guess it'd be best if I paint them first, with some HARD finish (transparent?) paint.

Of course we'll probably tilt the refrigerator back so the front feet come off the floor, and slide in the shims.

BUT, I'd like it a hard-enough surface that if necessary we *could* pound (hammer) them in. (Maybe that's asking a bit much?)

Anyway, suggestions as to what to paint them with.

And how many coats?

Or, ideas for other means than via shims at all. Or for maybe laminating with some plastic stuff?

THANKS MUCH!

David

Reply to
David Combs

You can buy shims that are not made of wood and will not rot.

Roanin

Tilt the fringe up in front. Screw the feet UP about a quarter inch. Measure distance to floor. Then add something solid such as metal washer or tempered Masonite that almost fits tight. Then you have space too work with to get level. Normal is to have fringe tilt back a small amount so door will swing shut on it's own. WW

Reply to
WW

Yes, I fix mine to shut by itself. I wonder why so few people do.

Pretty small.

Into what? What's your floor made of?

Shims are good, but they needn't be wood. An old piece of asphalt or vinyl (if it's not cushioned) floor tile, might work. Even a 12x12" piece won't be seen unless you're on the floor, and it won't wiggle out. A scrap of masonite. I save litttle scraps of everything, but most people don't. When I'm away, I usually just look on the ground or in a waste basket for what I need. Or if I see what I want, I ask a contractor to give me his left overs or what he rips out.

Reply to
micky

I've even used heavy cereal box cardboard folded back and forth multiple times and then trimmed to the size of the adjustable feet so it doesn't even show.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I'd call the manufacturer and ask them if they have front castors with a longer reach. If they do [or they point out what the installers were doing wrong] I'd ask for a freebie- either the part, or the 'installers' come out and do what they should have done.

I can't imagine a kitchen floor being too far out of level for refrigerator legs-- but I guess it can happen.

-snip-

If you end up with shims get the not-wood ones. [plastic, rubber?]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Perhaps he should be in the basement or crawlspace jacking up the sagging floor.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've used the square plastic things, designed to put under the feet of furniture. Had good results with that.

.

So, I got a package of shims, maybe 1/3 inch at one end, triangles down to a point (of course) at the other end.

Looks like cheap pine.

Which will deteriorate, get dirty, absorb spills, plus having a weak (easily indented) surface.

So I guess it'd be best if I paint them first, with some HARD finish (transparent?) paint.

Of course we'll probably tilt the refrigerator back so the front feet come off the floor, and slide in the shims.

BUT, I'd like it a hard-enough surface that if necessary we *could* pound (hammer) them in. (Maybe that's asking a bit much?)

Anyway, suggestions as to what to paint them with.

And how many coats?

Or, ideas for other means than via shims at all. Or for maybe laminating with some plastic stuff?

THANKS MUCH!

David

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

NO!!! use plastic shim.

just get a plasitc disk about the size of the foot and adjust like you're supposed to. Whoever has to clean around those feet will be MUCH happier.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Exactly. At least explore the option of leveling some of the floor, if convenient. Chances are the floor is bouncy, also, so that issue could possibly be resolved, also.

Treat the root problem, not a symptom, if you can.

Reply to
Sonny

Good point.

Reply to
micky

Good point. OP, move the refirgerator before you try this.

Reply to
micky

You're supposed to clean around the feet?

Reply to
micky

LOL! Remind me NOT to accept any invitation to dinner.

Reply to
Robert Macy

THANKS MUCH!

LOTS OF GOOD IDEAS!

(never knew there *were* plastic shims)

Floor *is* level, so I better check out the current feet, see why they don't screw out any more.

David

Reply to
David Combs

New fridges have fixed back legs and adjustable front only, yes?

And old buildings the floor may be level but at the edges it's more like a hammock.

Reply to
Robert Macy

The floor is flat.

I guess I'll just have to play with the screw-feet.

David

Reply to
David Combs