wood sealants

I need a safe wood sealant that can be used on an oak kitchen table to protect it against spills and stains. james
Might I suggest flipping through some of the topics in the rec.woodworking forum. They seem to have a lot of useful information there.
Regards, Justin

Everything factory made in recent memory will have some kind of a finish to prevent spills from soaking into the oak grain. How old is the table? Is it homemade?
Steve

prevent spills from soaking into the oak grain. How old is the table? Is it homemade?
I recently bought a table that had a very thin finish on it (maybe a single coat of sprayed lacquer?), so I wanted something thicker and more durable than the factory finish. I used Behlen Rockhard Tabletop varnish - two thick brushed-on coats so far, sanded lightly between. As soon as I get time, I plan to sand it lightly again, thin some varnish with mineral spirits, and wipe on a final layer. Then rub it down with extra-fine steel wool for a less glossy finish. Hope this helps, Andy
Look for "Selecting a finish" at www.homesteadfinishing.com