Wood panelling question

Just bought a house. Inspectors showed me a few of the wooden painted panels are starting to rot and need replacing. The panelling is 45 degrees from the horizontal, and around 5 inches wide, in long strips. Is it a difficult job to replace them? Could someone give me a few pointers how to get started? I can't even see how to get one of them off to begin with.

Also I am not sure if I have to treat any new panels with some chemical to stop it rotting in the future?

Thanks very much,

Dean

Reply to
deanbrown3d

I think you are calling cedar siding paneling.

The boards on the outside of your house have an exposed view of about 4" and run from front to back and or side to side?

Respond and I will write more.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Sounds like either T&G herringbone, or faux tudor decorations.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

They run diagonally.

I thought cedar wood was not meant to rot? Thanks for any help, btw!

Dean

Reply to
deanbrown3d

I don't have any experience at all with what you are describing.

I might be able to offer a suggestion if I saw a picture. Most likely these boards are overlapped, Dutch lapped or tongue and groove. The removal and repair process would be different for each. The T & G would be the most difficult for me. Matching the wood might be a problem. Some of the stuff just isn't made any more.

Can you post a pic somewhere?

Cedar doesn't rot for a long time. If it stays wet long enough it will rot slowly. It usually fails near the bottom as that is where moisture tends to collect. That is true for most all sidings.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt