Wood floor installaion in Ranch Home

We own a 30 year-old ranch home with no basement or crawl space (all on 1 floor). We would like to remove the old white carpeting in the living/dining room and install soild oak floors. Would this be possible? I ask becuase friends keep telling us that we may have moiture damage because of no basement/crawal space. Any installation recommendations?
Thanks.

I installed 1700 square feet of flooring on a concrete slab on grade. Just followed the directions and all was well.
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Hi. We are on a concrete slab. I'll check out the link posted. Thanks!