Wood Floor in Bathroom

My house has wide plank pine floors. The floor boards vary in width from around a foot to maybe two feet. Recently I decided to fix up the bathroom floor. I removed two layers of bad old tile flooring to get down to the original pine floor in the bathroom. This is a bathroom of around 10" by 20" (originally not a bathroom since the house was built in 1820 before homes had bathrooms).
I have sanded the floor down in the room and my plan is to coat it with polyurethane. This bathroom has a sink, toilet and tub/shower. My question is, is polyurethane over a pine floor acceptable in a bathroom? Does anyone out there have a wood floor in a bathroom and does a coating like this protect it enough from the potential water damage to the floor?

It's the "in" thing these days. Pat
Waterbased polyurethanes have very little odor and dry rapidly, better for indoor applications than oil based products. One of the finish makers suggests Bonakemi, or a name similar to that, for floor applications. Others that have used it rave about it. It would be what I'd look for.

We first finished two bathroom floors and a kitchen floor as you describe in 1979. We refinished one bathroom in 1990. The kitchen floor has been refinished twice since the original finish.
Tom Baker
We put down tongue and groove pine flooring in both our bathrooms, the oldest installation about 6 years ago. The wood was stained and given two coats of a water based urethane finish. We have had no problems with moisture, spills or "near misses." Urethane is incredible stuff.

We have the probably original wide plank floors on our parlor floor bath (townhouse from around 1850), coated with three coats of poly in 1986. Doing fine. The tub and shower in this bathroom hardly gets used however. On our bedroom floor, the bathroom has newer (1920's?) narrow maple tongue and groove. Also polyed in 1986. It's doing fine too, but we take care to wipe up all the drips. We tiled the two bathrooms in our tenant's apartment, however, as we could take the chance that tenant would protect a wood floor in a bathroom. As long as you take reasonable care, you should be fine.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Dick Smyth" < snipped-for-privacy@surenet.net> wrote in message
Rob:
RG> I have sanded the floor down in the room and my plan is to coat it with RG> polyurethane. This bathroom has a sink, toilet and tub/shower. My RG> question is, is polyurethane over a pine floor acceptable in a bathroom? RG> Does anyone out there have a wood floor in a bathroom and does a coating RG> like this protect it enough from the potential water damage to the floor? One item that would concern me is the slipperiness when the floor is wet, such as stepping out of the tub/shower. Would a bath mat slip?
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Forrest Pig Life is a box of chok-choa-che..candy
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971