Wood filller before painting

How best can I fill or finish the curved wood surround (new wood) of a halfmoon window before painting? The grain of the material is fore-and-aft i.e. across the grain of the whole (plywood?) surround bent in a half circle (diam. 40 inches) for the halfmooon. Large grainy fissures are obvious in the material, when you look closely.
The aim is a reasonably smooth surface that can be painted like the other (non-curved) parts of the window trim. The DAP filler I use outdoors seems too stiff to fill this surface, i.e. would have to be rubbed in, inch by inch, with a small spatula. Is there some sort of a semiliquid filler that can be painted on with a brush, then hand-sanded when dry, to produce a smooth surface throughout?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

bondo.

you want a sanding sealer.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Don Phillipson wrote:

Drywall joint compound
--

dadiOH

If the window frame has any exposure to the weather, drywall compound actually is a decent filler, but be sure to use the setting type since it won't be affected by moisture.
Joe

If the window frame has any exposure to the weather, drywall compound actually is a decent filler, but be sure to use the setting type since it won't be affected by moisture.
Joe
DITTO...Easy Sand 45...