Wood filller before painting

How best can I fill or finish the curved wood surround (new wood) of a halfmoon window before painting? The grain of the material is fore-and-aft i.e. across the grain of the whole (plywood?) surround bent in a half circle (diam. 40 inches) for the halfmooon. Large grainy fissures are obvious in the material, when you look closely.

The aim is a reasonably smooth surface that can be painted like the other (non-curved) parts of the window trim. The DAP filler I use outdoors seems too stiff to fill this surface, i.e. would have to be rubbed in, inch by inch, with a small spatula. Is there some sort of a semiliquid filler that can be painted on with a brush, then hand-sanded when dry, to produce a smooth surface throughout?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

bondo.

Reply to