Wood filler for around toilet

I had to cut out the floor around my toilet for a replacement installation. An old plumber up the street told me to seal the gaps in the wood with " smooth stone ". He didn't know a current brand name and he is in his 70's and has been out of the game for a while. What is the current product to seal wood gaps around a toilet.

By the way the old guy was invaluable with his help and information.

Reply to
jst

been using silicone around toilet bases.

ds549

Maybe he should be working at a hardware store or plumbing supply place. Considering the unbelievable stupidity I've heard from retail help over the past few years, that old guy's advice is worth money these days.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'd need a picture to see for sure what you are talking about. However, I find that DAP's plastic wood is an excellent wood filler.

Reply to
scott21230

A picture of what? The product he's talking about, or the product in use after being applied?

And, does plastic wood remain flexible after it dries, or does it become hard?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Plastic Wood remains hard.

Reply to
scott21230

In that case, I don't think you'd want it where the toilet meets the floor. Even if it's not obvious, toilets sometimes shift very slightly, so you'd want a sealer that remains a little flexible. Also, I plastic wood probably won't hold up well with moisture, like when you're washing the floor.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom