Wood chisel tip protector

Page 1 of 2
I looked for some plastic protectors to use on my wood chisels but could find none.
Any ideas on how I can fabricate some ?
Andy wrote:

Get some of that stuff they dip tool handles in to form a coating . Oil the chisel well before you dip it .
--
Snag

On 3/8/2016 12:20 PM, Andy wrote:

How often do you plan to cover/uncover them?
You can use plastidip if you dont mind "remaking" the covers periodically (depends on how often you plan on peeling it off/slipping it on)
<http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-Dip-14-5-oz-Black-Rubber-Coating-11603-6/202196703>
I've always kept my wood chisels in a sort of carrying case (each having its own little "slot". Depending on quantity and sizes, you can repurpose something like this: <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> (imagine the chisel points *in*, not *out*)
or even fabricate a custom one out of some heavy canvas or vinyl (vinyl is a win if you keep your tools oiled while stored)

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/dobripw/library/Chisel%20Box?sort=2&page=1
On 3/8/2016 1:45 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Did you make that? It's beautiful.

Thank you. Yes, I did.
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 5:13:52 PM UTC-6, Gordon Shumway wrote:

First class job. :-)
Looks like a piece of fine furniture.
Andy
On 3/8/2016 5:13 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

You're welcome.

My husband does wood working for a hobby and I love natural wood.
On 3/8/2016 6:20 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

My wife likes me to get natural wood too!
On 3/8/2016 7:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 17:13:10 -0600, Gordon Shumway

You must be one of those old time carpenters I was talking about. That is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about. Those old boys respected their tools.
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:20:47 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:

It took Google .22 secs to find these:
hhttp://www.woodcraft.com/product/161193/woodriver-silicone-chisel-guards-10pcs.aspx
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:18:21 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Good find. I was looking for chisel protectors instead of guards.
Andy
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 3:28:00 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:

Can you sew?
http://pielleather.com/shop/index.php/browse-all/craftsman-leather-items/2715.html
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:31:14 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes.
Andy
On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 11:20:37 -0800 (PST), Andy

I always save the ones that come on a new chisel but old time carpenters have a chisel box with dividers that they store these tools in
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:20:47 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:

These too:
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?c=&p0022&cat=1,41504
On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 12:28:13 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

... no longer available
--- ---

Duct tape.
I've a number of Marples crank-neck chisels and gouges from the first half of the 20th century that have protectors made from masking tape. They're still perfectly viable.
Note that the adhesive side of the tape is not exposed to the chisels.
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:35:21 PM UTC-6, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Then how do they stick ?
Andy