Wood burning pollutin

Page 2 of 2
Edwin, you have just proven that you are a leprauchan, and wear green underwear and bells on your hat. Same logic.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Van Chocstraw wrote:

George wrote:

Logic???? What logic?

Wood is a renewable energy source. Many renewable energy sources cause lots of pollution during manufacturing. Perhaps we simply need to put smog devices on our chimneys. Then we could dump the pollution into land fills instead of the air.

Comes down to the payback I guess. I'm sure the pollution can be reduced with technology and there may not yet be a big enough market to pay for it. If the government comes into our homes and taxes the woodpile, that may change things. I've not kept up with wood stoves, but I do know they made improvements about 15 or so years ago and some use what is essentially a catalytic converter.
Years ago when most homes used coal, pollution was far worse than it is today.
wrote in message

No doubt a woodburning stove is far more effecient than a fireplace and probably produces a lot less smoke. If my chimney is smoking a lot then the fire needs to be poked at and the wood moved around so it doesn't smoke so much.
My personal opinion is that we should be finding better ways to use the renewable resources that we have. If smoke is the problem then maybe we should blame the design and not the fuel. Someone mentioned woodfired water heaters--one type works well and the other doesn't.
Ulysses wrote:

The outside ones aren't even legal in Washington state.

The calculations are incomplete and therefore bias.
************************************************************************ This was a simple synopsis in a sidebar to a newspaper article, How do you know they are incomplete?
Your calculations are incomplete also. You say the wood would decompose naturally over the years, but you failed to consider the replanting and thus the more wood made available in a 10 or 20 or 50 year cycle as opposed to letting nature take care of the forests. Not everyone uses tops. .

atmosphere from termite farts as they eat the decomposing wood. Methane is a much worse greenhouse gas than CO2, which is the byproduct of burning the wood.
KC

atmosphere from termite farts as they eat the decomposing wood. Methane is a much worse greenhouse gas than CO2, which is the byproduct of burning the wood.
KC
reply:
KC, I see you haven't read or listened to AlGore. If he had his way, he'd outlaw all CO2, but in the order that his obsolete CO2 belching Gulfstream would be the last thing outlawed. He needs to get to those $100,000 lectures, don't you know?
Steve ;-)