Wood Bath Mat

Hi All, I was wondering if anybody has ever used a wooden bath mat. I saw a nice example in myer and I was wondering if they work well. I was also wondering if anybody has made one. The ones I have seen for sale in stores are made from pine that has been stained and sealed. When I did an internet search I saw some very nice cedar and teak mats. Im sure I could make one without much hassle. Anyway could anyone think of any negatives or positives for for the ideas above? Thanks in advance!

-- george lopez

Reply to
george lopez

Cedar, teak, white oak are all good "water" woods. A good mat should not slip. I have a rubber bath mat made from spent tires--but it rests on a concrete floor. Rubber may react with vinyl or other floorings/finishes.

Reply to
Phisherman

ditto on the teak or cedar......use waterproof glue or SS (blind / from the bottom) fasteners

SS fasteners I used in a wooden door mat were still "perfect" after ~15 years outside in SoCal

cheers Bov

Reply to
fftt

Reply to
redstig

george lopez wrote in news:--ydnQIDUuCFhK3XnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

wet wood;a great place for mold and mildew to grow.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Teak unfinished or just oiled is best, there is good reason why its used for boat decks. When it gets messed up you just use Oxalic acid and scrub it.

Reply to
ransley

Visited Belize in recent years. A fellow pointed out a few houses that were built entirely from Mahogany. Belize was a large exporter of timber 30s -40s (?) and then the mass cutting and hurricanes shortened the supply.

Those homes were never painted, treated or anything else.

Now they may running out of lobster.

Reply to
Oren

Test drive one in bare feet before you spend a lot of time or money on it. I always found them less than comfortable, if the ratio of cracks to boards was too high. Wide boards take forever to dry. Pretty much need a floor drain- once the wood is saturated, that water has to go somewhere.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9C26C2FFA862Ajyanikkuanet@

74.209.136.83:

Guess it depends on one's habits. I dry off in the shower, step out and dry feet. Minimal moisture. Only reason I do this is so I don't get a blast of cool air. Sidebar: prevents shrinkage :-)

Reply to
Red Green

I dry off in the shower too. No need for any floor mats.

Reply to
Phisherman