Wiring receptacle for 1/2 to be controlled by switch

Hi folks,
I have an end receptacle that is connected to a switch. The receptacle is wired as follows:
empty--------empty | |
| |
White--------black (Copper)
The ground is connected normally in the bottom corner.
I would like one of the outlets to be controled by the switch, but for the other one to be always on.
There are no other cables, and all three cables come from the same cable.
How can I rewire the receptacle so that I achieve the desired result?
Thanks for your time,
Teos (abadia-public (at) cox.net)

Generally receptacles have metal straps/jumpers between the two halves. You need to snip out these straps/jumpers to isolate them. Then wire one direct to power the other via the switch.
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

{Delete nospam for email}
That is correct. I only have the wires coming from the switch. Options?
Thanks,
Teos
snipped-for-privacy@bcplnospam.net wrote:

[snip]
Bypass switch and bring power direct to receptacle, but change receptacle and switch to X10-control types.
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
Jim Thompson wrote:

See my post regarding X10, or...
Depending on how the wiring is routed (staples, holes thru studs, etc.) you *may* be able to use the original wire to pull a new cable (with red/black/white/green).
By convention:
Red is switched hot Black is hot always White is common Green is safety ground
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Although the original poster did not specify, I suspect what he/she is looking for is the ability to switch a lamp on at the entry door and have something like a clock running all the time. It is significantly easier to do this prior to the installation of the wallboard.
Stan
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:59:38 GMT, "Wade Lippman"

{Delete nospam for email}