Wiring receptacle for 1/2 to be controlled by switch

Hi folks,

I have an end receptacle that is connected to a switch. The receptacle is wired as follows:

empty--------empty | |

| |

White--------black (Copper)

The ground is connected normally in the bottom corner.

I would like one of the outlets to be controled by the switch, but for the other one to be always on.

There are no other cables, and all three cables come from the same cable.

How can I rewire the receptacle so that I achieve the desired result?

Thanks for your time,

Teos (abadia-public (at) cox.net)

Reply to
Alphastream

Generally receptacles have metal straps/jumpers between the two halves. You need to snip out these straps/jumpers to isolate them. Then wire one direct to power the other via the switch.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

That is correct. I only have the wires coming from the switch. Options?

Thanks,

Teos

snipped-for-privacy@bcplnospam.net wrote:

Reply to
Alphastream

[snip]

Bypass switch and bring power direct to receptacle, but change receptacle and switch to X10-control types.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

However, unless I misread the original post, there is no unswitched hot available. That would certainly introduce a difficulty.

Stan

{Delete nospam for email}

Reply to
ssody

Reply to
Alphastream

See my post regarding X10, or...

Depending on how the wiring is routed (staples, holes thru studs, etc.) you *may* be able to use the original wire to pull a new cable (with red/black/white/green).

By convention:

Red is switched hot Black is hot always White is common Green is safety ground

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Well.... You could abandon the switch so that the outlet is permanently on, and add a new switch leg to half the receptacle. That would work and be easy, but might not have the switch where you want it.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Although the original poster did not specify, I suspect what he/she is looking for is the ability to switch a lamp on at the entry door and have something like a clock running all the time. It is significantly easier to do this prior to the installation of the wallboard.

Stan

{Delete nospam for email}

Reply to
ssody