Wiring question - 2 switches... 2 lights ... no ground?

Hello,
I just purchased and installed 2 new light fixtures in our hallway. There is a switch at each end of the hall and 2 lights at each end. Either switch works both of the lights.
The previous light fixtures did not have the ground connected even though the boxes have the wire. The old fixtures (circa 1976) do not even have a ground wire. I went ahead and installed the new fixtures without connecting the grounds, assuming that due to the hook-up it was intentionally not connected. I turned it on and it works.... for now. I would sure sleep a lot better if someone could confirm this sounds like a reasonable set-up.
Thanks, Gary G
They used to assume the screws holding the fixture was a ground. It just doesn't work when the screws are loose or the box is plastic. I would hook up the ground wire. Connect it to the box or the ground wire in the cable if the box is plastic
- Gary G -

- Nehmo - Don't tell anybody else, and keep this dastardly secret till the grave.
--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Thanks for the input. Noone seems concerned that connecting the ground will cause any problems with the functioning of the circuit. I will go ahead and connect them.
Thanks, Gary

grounding is always an good thing