wiring exhaust fan

At present I have two lights in the bathroom. I would like to replace one of the lights with an exhaust fan. One switch turns on both lights, I would like to have a seperate switch for the exhaust fan. Do I need to run wire from the exaust fan to the double switch and if so how do I make the connection at the switch?

Thanx

Reply to
phil39

Yes you need another wire.

Connect the new switch to the hot and the switch leg to the other side of the new switch. Ground and neutral from the new cable make up with the others of their kind.

Reply to
SQLit

Most likely, you need to run a cable from the switch to the new fan location, however you must first determine if you have a "feed" at the switch box. It is possible that the feed in one of the lighting outlets and you only have switch legs (no neutral) in the switch box

Reply to
RBM

Without knowing exactly what the wiring is now, it is not possible to give you exact instructions. Likely you will need to run a couple of new wires between the switch to one of the lights. However depending on where the power is coming it, it could be complex.

You might also want to consider using an X-10 device and you will not need to do any wiring. While I would prefer the hard wired method for reliability, the X-10 should work.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Not sure if this fits your situation, but in my case, the wire from the switch ran to the light above the sink, and from there to the fan.

So I didn't have to run another wire to turn the fan on and off, I just mounted a switch to the light fixture, I used a switch that mounted in a round hole, and only required pushing it to turn it on and off (since it is a little hard to reach). There was even a knock-out in the light fixture to put the switch. Then I put a second identical switch next to the first, to turn off the light over the sinkr if I want to run the fan while I'm not in the room.

In the case of my mother, where this all wasn't possible, I used pull chain switches, with a string, and I mounted them to the almuminum grill in each bathroom. She hadn't complained even, but I knew that fan, which was on even when she is just brushing her teeth, must drive her crazy. I had to be careful to find a spot on the grills where the switch wasn't obstructed by the box the fan was in, but there were places like that.

I didn't like messing with an aparment in a building she didn't own, but after she died, I removed the extra grab bars, cleaned everything else well, and the secretary sort of implied I didn't have to all that. My mother had been there for 8 years and always paid her rent, and with 100 apartments, they didn't mind doing some clean-up it seemed. But I'm sure they left the swtiches.

mm

Broan makes a combo light fan that takes the place of an existing hi-hat. Something you might be interested in.

Mikepier