Wiring Electrical outlet

Page 1 of 2

Hi everyone. When we built our house I had the electrician run a wire down to the basement so we could tap into it to finish the basement. We finished the basement, but ran a new line. So now in the storage area I have a 12/2 wire hooked into a 20 amp breaker not being used. My question - can I simply wire an outlet to this wire?

Yes. Turn off the breaker, though, and double check with a meter or test light to be sure it's really off. This assumes you don't want to be a human light bulb.

Thanks. Do I need any special type of outlet? Not sure if there are different ratings for 15 amp breakers on 14/2 or 20 amp breakers on 12/2.

No. But, but if you're installing a box, you might might want to make it a double, in case you want to add a switch, two more outlets or timer later.
steve snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

15A outlets on 15A circuit.
15 or 20A outlet on 20A circuit. But if using 15A outlets there must be at least 2 (a standard duplex outlet is 2).
-- bud--
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:03:41 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I always test both before and after turning off the breaker. That way tests the tester too.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Good idea. The tester could have a virus.
*** JUST KIDDING! *** :-)
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:40:39 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

What if your multimeter is running Vista?
steve snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

As long as you install the outlet in a proper receptacle box, sure.
--
Regards,
Yes, as long as it's a 20 amp GFCI outlet

RBM wrote:

Doesn't need to be 20A (according to the NEC, not sure about the CEC). As long as you have at least two receptacles you can use 15A receptacles, and a standard duplex outlet qualifies as two.
As for GFCI, that may depend on the area. It's certainly not required around here.
Chris
The OP just said "an outlet", which on a dedicated 20 amp circuit needs to be a 20 amp outlet. If it's in an unfinished basement storage area, it needs to be gfci protected

Finished or unfinished, it's probably a good idea. Actually, finished basements attract floods the way trailer parks attract tornadoes. I think it's an adjunct of Murphy's Law or something. So, if you might want to use a shop vac to scoop up the water, a GFCI is a pretty good idea.
RBM wrote:

Yes, but a standard household outlet is actually a *duplex* receptacle, so it counts as two receptacles for the purpose of that rule. Thus, a single 15A duplex receptacle can be put on a 20A circuit.
If you were putting a single receptacle outlet (which is fairly rare in a residential scenario) then yes, it would make sense to use a 20A one.
> If it's in an unfinished basement storage area, it needs

That depends on the area. GFCI is not required here in Canada for basements in general...only for receptacles within a certain distance of wash basins.
Chris

I don't understand this debate. We're talking about a price difference of what - two dollars, if that much?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

It's not the price difference, it's the principle.
Chris

Yeah, but why NOT use a 20A outlet, for the small difference in price (if any)?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I'm not saying its a bad idea. (In fact, under the circumstances I probably would use a 20A dual receptacle.) I'm saying that it's not required by code.
There's a small but (to me at least) significant difference.
Chris
Because there is NO benefit from this waste of money. THAT's why.
--
Steve Barker

"JoeSpareBedroom" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 17:26:19 -0600, "Steve Barker"

What do you mean NO benefit? What if someday he wants to plug in a 20 amp device?
This is apparently the only receptacle on the whole 12 guage wire, so there isn't even a question of added load from other items.