Wiring a phone jack

Page 1 of 2

I found the phone line that has 6 conductors. White wire w/ Orange White wire w/ Green Green wire w/ White Blue wire w/ white White wire w/ Blue Orange wire w/ White
I ran a wire but it has 4 conductors. Red Green Yellow Black
How do i wire this for Verizon DSL ? Do i have to use all 6 Conductor's ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
desgnr wrote:

Tried google for info?
Add pictures here
βœ–

I can see that you know absolutely nothing about the subject. Let me explain how this newsgroup works. People write in with questions, and if someone has knowledge, they answer back. To refer someone to google is saying, "I'm stupid and I don't know anything about your question. Why don't you go to the library?" If you don't know anything, it's okay. Really. Just don't look like a fool by saying go to google. Just get out of the way and let someone who knows give the person answers.
HTH, but I really doubt it.
Steve
βœ–

Your answer is reminiscent of a fellow who used to post over on another newsgroup. He had a travel website with reports about cruise ships, ports and excursions on it. Whenever someone would post to the newsgroup with a question about a ship etc. the fellow would post something to the effect, "You should visit my website at http://www.kenxxx.com where you will find answers to your questions." If you're going to refer someone to Google or Bing, perhaps it would be more appropriate and productive to at least include the phrase they should use in the search or even some of your own search result URL's.
Nonny
--
On most days,
it’s just not worth
Nonny wrote:

Feed a man a fish feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish feed for a lifetime.
BUT you can not teach how to think:-((
Add pictures here
βœ–

===================================================== But again 1) many men (and some nations) OVERFISH and ruin it for everybody.
Then of course there is 2) atmospheric and ocean pollution!.
Both well under way at present time.
Add pictures here
βœ–

We have some talk here of men. What about government overseers who neither fish nor have any trouble buying $15 per pound ahi? Are government overseers taught, or are they just spawned with that knowledge and bent? And then there's commentators like the one above who are just weenie whiners.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

I always google for "I have a problem". I learned that from some of the subject lines in this and other ngs.
It seems to work well. I get loads of hits, though I think it's the same ones each time.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve B wrote:

It must really hard thinking you know all the answers.
This search matching multi-color phone wires to old solid colors Got this result: About 138,000 results (0.47 seconds) Here is the link: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=matching+multi-color+phone+wires+to+old+solid+colors
Add pictures here
βœ–
LouB wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=matching+multi-color+phone+wires+to+old+solid+colors
So you're telling the world that one of those 138,000 (about) answers in 47 seconds has the correct information the OP is looking for? If you want to be anything but a smartass google recommender, then provide the particular correct link. I trust that everybody here knows how to use google and the many other search engines.
Teach a braggart to keep his mouth shut and you'll be teaching him to live a long life, possibly even with friends..
--- ---
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=matching+multi-color+phone+wires+to+old+solid+colors
So what's the correct answer, or haven't you learned how to do that one? Here's the answer. http://tiny.cc/kowvv
Add pictures here
βœ–

actually, it's .......... plonk. cya
Steve
βœ–
On Thu 08 Jul 2010 07:08:30a, desgnr told us...

Most of us would probably be guessing since there is no apparent direct correlation between the colors. Why not call Verizon technical support?

βœ–
On 07/08/2010 10:38 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

actually there is. his first wire is a CAT5 or CAT6 network cable. The second is a regular phone wire. There are standards for how to hook up both. I'm too lazy to google it right now but hopefully I've thrown enough keywords out there to get him the info he needs. (I don't know the answer off the top of my head as I have not run into CATx used for phone wiring yet, but I understand it is becoming common on new construction.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Actually this convention long predates "Cat" anything. The pe;ephone company uses this in any cable except the 4 wire (or 3 wire before the Princess phone) station wire used in the house.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu 08 Jul 2010 04:11:49p, Nate Nagel told us...

I don't doubt that one bit, Nate. However, I still think few would actually know which wire should connect to which wire unless you accustomed to working with such.

βœ–

Blue Blue/white is line one, red green Orange is line 2 Green is line 3
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is what I have done, and it works for me. It is getting more difficult to do, as the old type phones are not available any more.
Wires come into the house in pairs, and the number of pairs dictate the number of lines. 8 wires, four lines. 4 wires, two lines.
Wires are used in pairs. The solid color and the striped one with that same color with the white stripe is one line. You can use a test phone and touch the wires to the incoming lugs, and when you hit the right two wires, you will get a dial tone.
It's that simple.
Steve
βœ–
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Wiring-a-phone-jack-452010-.htm DA wrote: desgnr wrote:

You would only need one pair of wires if you are connecting just one line/DSL.
It would normally be:
white with blue strips connects to Green blue with white strips connects to Red
in case you have a second line to worry about, it would be white with orange strips - Black orange with white strips - Yellow
But if it does not work, be ready to try any combination of the 6 conductors there is just in case someone did not connect that cable properly on the other end. You never know ...
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 16:05:25 +0000, info_at_1-script_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DA) wrote:

If the DSL filter is in the Dmark, expect the filtered voice line to be blue blue/white and the unfiltered DSL on the orange orange/white. That is the convention. A quick peek in the Dmark would confirm that. You would get dial tone on both but the DSL would not work.
Add pictures here
βœ–