Wires Too Short in Outlet Box, How to Extend Length ?

Page 2 of 2
I'm glad that I started reading this thread. It's starting to make me think that maybe I should start replacing some of my old wiring! My house was built in 1941 and some of the wiring has been replaced, but some of it hasn't. All the wiring is in conduit, but some of it is the old cloth-type of wiring.
Sounds like a winter job to me! But thanks for starting to make me think about the safety issues involved with older wiring.
BOB wrote:

I did this at one house. Cut out the drywall and put on wire nuts on a length of fresh wire. Probably not proper. That wiring was soooo bad. I been meaning to put some AFCIs in that house. I think ill do that this weekend. Probably all that wiring should be replaced as it was brittle and the walls were bade of wood. Accident waiting to happen.
Proper way I think would have been to rip open the wall, and put in an extra box closer to the source of the wire and let the wire nuts be in the extra box. Or maybe just move the outlet.
--
Thank you,