Windows 10 will be given away as a free upgrade for its first year of release

Page 1 of 3
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will be available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a full year.
http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-free-upgrade-for-the-first-year-1680771504
On 1/21/2015 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I heard that and assumed they meant if you bought the computer a year before the upgrade. Would be nice if all 7 and 8.1 users will get it.
On 1/21/2015 2:22 PM, Frank wrote:

Should have googled before my post. It will be available to all current users of 7 and 8.1:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7866679/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-1-users
I got an Android based tablet for Christmas and believe Android may be the worlds largest OS and upgrades are apparently free. If MS wants to be competitive, this is competition they must beat.
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 2:22:32 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

From googling, it sure looks like it means a year from the date it's launched, not the date you bought a PC. Seems kind of silly for MSFT to be making a major announcement, talking about free for Win 7 if it was only if you had bought the PC within a year. Most PCs aren't be sold with 7 anymore already, no? and 10 is a long ways out.
On 1/21/2015 3:03 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Apparently there are a few computers with 7 to be sold and MS does not want to make them boat anchors. Oren wondered why not Vista and probably same reasoning in that there are not any unsold Vista machines.
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 3:31:34 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

Again, from everything I've seen online, it's as Moe said, one year from the date of Win 10 release, not from the date of any PC purchase. Where do you see that it has anything to do with when the PC was purchased?
On 1/21/2015 3:56 PM, trader_4 wrote:

My initial thought was that was done in the past when a new OS was coming out you'd get a chit for the new one when you bought the old one.
I just got an ad from HP that they were selling Win 7 machines with up to 25% off.
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:17:56 PM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Liar, liar your pants are on fire. Won't apply to my nearly 3 year old Win 7 system.
Get the facts and get back to us. ======
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 4:32:06 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:

You're making the liar claim. What are you seeing that says it won't? Everything I've seen online, many sources, say Moe is right.
On 1/21/2015 3:32 PM, Roy wrote:

Too damned lazy to click the link and read, hey? Or are you comprehension-impaired?
Here's another link:
Free Upgrade Offer
Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!* And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months.
*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about?ocid=WIN10_0_WOL_Hero_Home_Windows-10_Null_01
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 3:36:24 PM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Some editions are excluded. Some other conditions apply. Must be connected to the Internet.
If I QUALIFY I may be interested.
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 1:13:42 AM UTC-5, Roy wrote:

Wow, must be connected to the internet to get the free update. What a show stopping hurdle for consumers! Outrageous!
So far, from what I see my Win 7 PCs are covered. Amazing how some folks want to just piss all over stuff, even when it looks genuine and generous. I mean here is MSFT giving out a free major OS upgrade and you're complaining.
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 5:17:07 AM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:

:

wrote:

ll

or a

-1680771504

old Win 7 system.

L_Hero_Home_Windows-10_Null_01

ted to the Internet.

If Windows 10 is to be given out FREE, then we should be able to go to a co mputer outlet such as Staples or The Source and get a FREE disk with the so ftware and no questions asked. Downloading the software as a service gives way too much control to Microsoft. I wonder if after the FREE offer is over will the purchased version be substantially different than the FREE one. T here has to be a catch somewhere.
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 2:52:58 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:

te:

n wrote:

will

for a

ar-1680771504

r old Win 7 system.

it

for

nd

ary

ws

WOL_Hero_Home_Windows-10_Null_01

ected to the Internet.

computer outlet such as Staples or The Source and get a FREE disk with the software and no questions asked. Downloading the software as a service give s way too much control to Microsoft. I wonder if after the FREE offer is ov er will the purchased version be substantially different than the FREE one. There has to be a catch somewhere.
I guess when you're the one giving out free stuff, you can decide how and where you're going to do it. I haven't bought a CD based software product in years. Just got some antivirus software for example, downloaded it from the manufacturer, entered the activation code. That is the model the world is moving to, especially given the shift in platforms, ie smartphones, tablets, etc. I think it's unreasonable to expect a company to stock retail channels with a free product, that they don't have to give you to begin with. Who's going to pay for that? They don't stock retail with SP1, SP2, etc, ie the other free upgrades they give you. That's how MSFT is apparently treating this. If I was MSFT, I might offer a CD version, sold directly, for some reasonable charge to cover the costs, for people in special circum stances.
On 1/22/2015 1:52 PM, Roy wrote:

When it's being given away for free, the recipients can take it or leave it.

Google doesn't charge for Android, and it's the main OS in the mobile market. Apple doesn't charge for updates to their OS, and it's the second-biggest OS in the mobile market. Windows still dominates in the office environment - for now. Thing is, the younger folk use their mobile devices and thus are more prone to choose an OS that they're familiar with. Once they get into positions of power, they will very likely not choose Windows. Thus, Microsoft has to expand their user base to include mobile users. Their first incredibly clumsy misstep in that direction was Windows 8. They alienated their long term desktop/laptop users and corporate clients stayed away in droves. They learned their lesson, and Windows 10 is supposedly going to be a more nuanced second attempt to familiarize the users of both mobile and desktop/laptop devices with one OS that will be usable (with minor changes) on both types of hardware. So they think they have a better product, well, now the second challenge is getting the critical mass of adopters to it. Since they're playing the long game, the smarter approach is to give it away (at first) in hopes of reaching that critical user mass. Microsoft's future may be at stake.
| Would be nice if all 7 and 8.1 users will get it.
Maybe. But no one really knows exactly what it is yet. P.T. Barnum's Egress exhibit was free, too.
Oren wrote:

I've got like 6 Vista licenses , all from people that retroed back to XP . I'm still running XP , and don't plan to change .
--
Snag

On 1/21/2015 9:39 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I still have an XP machine at home and a couple at work. They are doing what needs to be done, reliably. W7 is better, but I'd now spend the money unless I was putting it towards a new machine out of need.
| > And why don't they include Vista? | > | | Because all six people using Vista already upgraded from that crap.
I don't think there's really much difference between Vista and 7. I think of them as the same OS. But there are two factors that make them seem different:
1) It's easier to tone down the pointless nags in Win7, making it appear to be smoother.
2) Microsoft screwed up the release of Vista. Intel had a big pile of chipsets they wanted to dump, but those chipsets couldn't support the demanding Aero graphics. (The translucent techno-kitsch that was the only real selling point of Vista/7.) So Microsoft helped out their buddy, creating new categories of vista at the last minute. The general public got very confused, faced with choosing between PCs that fully ran Vista and PCs that could run Vista but couldn't do Aero. As a result, Vista got a bad reputation.
Microsoft acted in a similar way with WinME. When that version flopped they sort of swept it under the rug, pretending that it just didn't exist. Now, for some time, it's been Vista's turn to be the black sheep that no one admits to. Yet if one just turns off User Account Control in Vista I don't think there's much difference between that and Win7. (Personally I avoid both. I occasionally use Win7-64 for memory intensive things, but I prefer the leaner, no-nonsense style of XP. It doesn't fight with me about how I want to do things, and its spyware functionality is less well developed.)
On 1/21/2015 11:22 PM, Mayayana wrote:

I know of a few people running Vista from a new machine and have had no problems. I know people that upgraded from XP to Vista and had many problems. That may be the biggest difference in reliability. W7 was explained to me as being "what Vista was supposed to be".