Window replacements and new framing

Hi

I would like to replace the current windows in my house. In doing so I would also like to make the window frames look better...by adding outside and inside trim.

We currently have a 1970 ranch style house. It has aluminum window frames single pane with a glass storm window. The windows take up the whole frame of the window (as well as the thickenss of the house), leaving no room for a nice looking window sill on the outside and stool/apron on the inside.

I want to remove the old windows, and start fresh through the R.O. Add a sill on the outside (with interior and exterior stops) a stool and apron inside.

I have replacement windows that are slightly smaller to replace the windows I currently have. They are Pella Thermalstar vinyl replacement windows. They aren't as thick as the current windows installed, so I should be able to get the look that I want.

I have been doing some research, but can't seem to find any information/steps as to how to create the window frame to have an outside sill and stops. It doesn't look to hard, but I am looking for some had information to study before diving into this project.

Are there any downfalls in doing what I am trying to accomplish? Does anyone have any information as to where I can get steps/instructions in creating what I want to do?

Thanks

Reply to
Home Repair

You plan is a good one. You should be able to rip pieces of wood to bring the new frames out to the old surface. You would do well to prime all surfaces before installing. You will then be able to nail on any type of trim you like. If you build your frame in advance to the required dimension, it might be possible for you to prime it as well.

Reply to
Lawrence

Pella may offer and extension jam for those windows in vinyl, it couldn't hurt to check.

Reply to
Lawrence

Ill check that out...thanks for your help!

Reply to
Home Repair