Window replacement hardware

Hi,

My windows are aluminum and at least 30 years old. They slide up and down OK, but some of the hardware is broken. Especially the plastic parts. Do not know the brand, as it's not stamped anywhere, or at least I cannot find it.

Is there are place where replacement hardware can be found for these? Regardless of manufacturer, I suspect the hardware came from the same place for many brands of windows. There's a spring, cord with hook, a couple plastic pulleys, all in an aluminum channel.

Regards,

Rich

Reply to
RichK

Rich,

I've used

for some replacement parts for my vinyl windows;
also has a good sized catalog.

Sounds like you need a window sash balance - a good local window repair place should be able to order what you need, based on size. For what it's worth, I've fixed a number of those on my windows after the cord broke from age.

Hope this helps. Bob.

Reply to
Bob

Order a catalog from

or

One or the other has just about every part you could ever need. Not the best for web shopping. To find your part you need the catalogs.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

"Bob"

Thanks for the links - looks like both responses gave the same links - must be good:-)

So that's what it's called. These are not so old, where there was a hefty weight and good size cord.

What I have is spring and fairly thin cord, with small pulleys. Is it still called a balance?

Rich

Reply to
RichK

Here's a place for window hardware I've used. I've purchased about a half-dozen tube balances from them in the last few years, although I think you need to look at the channel balances. Not an easy website, but if you call them they will answer questions patiently and politely.

Tom Miller

Normally yes. It might be called a counter-weight by some. There may also be some other term I am not familiar with. That is why looking thought the catalogs is the best way to go.

I have to disagree with the poster who said you should be able to find it locally. I live in a decent sized Metro area. Everyone here wants to sell replacement windows. They are not interested in selling parts.

Best wishes,

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

That style is known as a "block and tackle" type balance

MikeB

Reply to
Bert

I have had no trouble finding window parts locally. Try an aluminum company that sells windows, carports, etc. If you go to a window company they well may try to sell you replacement windows. A general sales company will be much less likely to try to sell their specialty.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill Gill